April 2013 Weddings

I got a new job, but I am so scared! Advice?

Hi :)

I work with my FI now (we met here) and the company is merging with another company that is buying us and we are not guaranteed jobs for much longer.  We are sure he is fine and will go with the new company (hopefully) but they don't really have positions open for what I do- theirs are already pretty much filled.  One of our vendors asked me to do an interview with their company to fill an open position, so I did.  I got the job!  It's a guaranteed job and more money, so that is good but I am scared of leaving behind my job (that is going away soon anyway) and friends and FI.  We carpool everyday to work and love working together and it will be so scary leaving that comfort zone.  To add to it, I have anxiety so when I get scared I get terrified!  But I need a job, so I am sure it happened for a reason.  Any advice on how to calm my nerves to start this new job?  I start April 30 and am so nervous about not knowing anyone in the office and not having my FI at the other side of the building in case I need anything.  It's a bittersweet time for me :(

Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
RSVP Deadline: February 28th

Re: I got a new job, but I am so scared! Advice?

• Congrats on the new job!  For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision.  I also have a HORRIBLE anxiety disorder so I know how scary it can be.  What would probably help me is to drive yourself to the new place a few times a week so that you get used to the commute and surroundings.  If they ask for things like your SS card, bring it in instead of faxing or mailing it so you can also get a few extra trips INSIDE the building so you can see things in there too. 

Do you have any rituals or things you can carry over to your new job?  Like maybe set up your desk the EXACT same way it is now, same pics, same pencil holder, etc.  Definitely call your FI if you can on your breaks or ask him to text you throughout the day if he can so he can keep giving you encouragement throughout the day.  In fact, take his photo with you for your desk if you don't already have it there. Sometimes, just seeing a friendly face helps me a lot - even if it's just a photo.

Also, keep reminding yourself that anxiety has never killed anyone and that you WILL get used to your new surroundings.  Before you know it, you will have new friends and a new routine and you'll wonder why you got so upset over it all.  YOU WILL BE FINE, I promise! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Thank you so much for responding and understanding!

Those are great tips!  I will try and always remember what you said about anxiety, it's so hard to deal with, but it's not going to kill me!  Sometimes it feels like it could though :(

It will be nice to have his picture on my desk since I don't have it up now, it might look silly since he works here with me!  I can't wait to make new photo frames with our pictures in them.

I will drive to the new office a few times before I start, to get used to it and to get used to driving to work by myself instead of just riding with FI.

And I will bring my pencil holder etc and try to set up my desk the same way.  I never even thought that would help, but I think it will!

I appreciate your help, I'll try to lessen the anxiety with your tips :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
  • I hope it all helps you, at least a little bit.  I h ave been dealing with anxiety for years.  Sometimes it's so bad it make me physically sick to my stomach.  I know how hard it can be to do new things and go new places.  But I'm living proof that it won't kill you. 

Now..... get your stuff ready, walk in there with your head held high, and remember to wear cool, comfy clothing that doesn't show sweat stains on your armpits.  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Congratulations, that is so awesome!

I have very high anxiety and I get stressed out/nervous over the smallest stuff, so I am no good with advice. I just like to be mega prepared for everything. I just started at a new position a month ago, but with the same company/location. The only thing with me is that my first position was eliminated and instead of letting me go, they technically promoted me temporarily. The lady who normally does the job is out on medical and doesn't know if and when she is returning.

I was scared out of my mind, especially because this is a very sought after job and it was pretty much handed too me. It is out of my comfort zone so I made myself sick worrying about it. But honestly, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be and I have just been taking it day by day and doing my best. They hired you for a reason so you will do great.
  • Thank you both :)

I'll just have to deal with the anxiety because I can't change anything now!  It's a good job, and I accepted the offer.  Things will change in my life because of it, but hopefully for the better!  I'm lucky to get this job, so I am going to make the most of it.  I will miss FI not working with him, but it should make our time at home even better since we'll miss each other!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards