Jewish Weddings

Wedding space

My fiance and I are getting married at our synagogue.  The ceremony will be in the sanctuary, the reception in the social hall.  I need to talk to someone at the shul and figure out where other things will take place.  We haven't ironed out all the details, but are so planning to have a bedeken, and possibly a tisch.  Should this take place in the social hall with it all set for the reception?  At my cousin's wedding, the bedeken was in the reception room, while the staff was setting up tables.  I don't want that.  I also didn't like there not being drinks or snacks available for the hour or so we were standing around before the ceremony.  So I was thinking of combining the cocktail hour with the other pre-ceremony stuff.  There is no other room in the shul that we could fit our entire guest list.  What have other couples done?
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers

Re: Wedding space

• LisaBRMLisaBRM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Is there not one other room that could be used for the tisch - a rabbi's study, a classroom, a large foyer area?  I've usually seen the bedeken and the tisch done in a separate room and the bride, if there isn't another room for her, in the room where the reception will be held, but, with a screen or something up to separate the space.  And then, when the ceremony is going on, the staff remove the screen and finish setting up the reception.

And, yes, I think that having a cocktail-type hour during this hour of pre-ceremony activities is absolutely appropriate!

Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I will probably share the tisch (egalitarian conservative shul), and then do the veiling at the end, so we need a room that can accomodate all of this.  Maybe we can use the room downstairs where the parallel service is during High Holidays.  Classes and whatnot are in there, and there's an open lobby space too.  I'll add it to the list of things to ask the Rabbi when we meet with him.

Thanks for the advice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • rashmachrashmach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you are getting married is a great time to think about life insurance for you and your new spouse. There is a website where you can find tons of information and live licensed life insurance advisors who can help you figure out if you need life insurance and help you find the right policy.  I work for this company and we help a lot of people. It is really easy. Visit our site. http://bit.ly/rQdEgG
  • edited December 2011
    If the social hall is the best option, maybe the caterers could portion off a part of the room with screens or curtains so that guests don't glimpse the "behind the scenes" setting up stuff. Then, during the ceremony, the catering staff can bring out all the tables for the complete set-up. I'm sure they do this sort of thing frequently for all kinds of events.

Also - do you think ALL the guests will be there before the ceremony? In my experience, it is a more limited group for these events. So you shouldn't need quite as much space.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards