Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Baby items on a registry - completely rude?

FI and I are getting married next month - I don't think my Bump tickers carried over. We'd planned to in the summer or fall of 2011 originally, but then found out we were expecting and moved the timeline up.

Here is the thing:  we will be living in an apartment for another year due to his temporary assignment.  We're being moved to a different Coast in two months. Between the two of us, we already have stuff like dishes, a blender, etc (though not the best stuff, it functions at least). 

Since places like Bed bath and Beyond have some baby items, is it obnoxious to register for those for our wedding?  Unconventional though it is, this is what we really need.  We have zero baby things, and being in a new time zone we're not expecting a shower, and since we doubt anyone will hire my pregnant azz for a year, money will be tight.

Thoughts?
Mom to a beautiful boy and girl!

Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude?

• Options
    I wouldn't do it. That's what baby showers are for.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I wouldn't. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-items-registry-completely-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d07e676-1e43-4abf-b566-1ce2c3ff3b69Post:e84510b7-70e9-42ef-9c9f-04a6c4b63d0d">Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't do it. That's what baby showers are for.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Nobody will be throwing us one, since I'm due in Feb, and FI and I are moving across the country from all our friends/relatives in November.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-items-registry-completely-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d07e676-1e43-4abf-b566-1ce2c3ff3b69Post:f2678560-30f6-4ce2-b719-26cf9042d345">Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude? : Nobody will be throwing us one, since I'm due in Feb, and FI and I are moving across the country from all our friends/relatives in November.
    Posted by PiscesFish[/QUOTE]
    Well, then I wouldn't register and I'd hope people would give me cash. I might be totally wrong, but I find it really inappropriate to put baby stuff on a wedding registry.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    You can have a baby shower early.  My sister lives in NC while all of our family lives in PA and her ILs all live in OH.  She was due in early December and we had a baby shower for her in August when everyone was in town for a family reunion.  It worked out perfectly and nobody thought it was odd that she wasn't due for 4 months.
  • Options
    I wouldn't. I'd do a separate baby registry. Even if you don't have a shower, some people might send you items from that.

If it's something for the whole family, like new curtains or furniture, that's one thing. but baby stuff? No.

Or don't register and use some wedding money to buy baby things.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

It seems strange to me. I would probably just do a tiny registry, which tells people that you really need money.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would start a registry at Babies R' Us, and mention it to people if they ask about it specifically.  Otherwise, for the wedding, don't register anywhere else, and people will probably get the hint that you want cash.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yeah, it is a wedding registry, not a baby shower. Sorry, but personally I would find it strange/ rude.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    that would put a very bad taste in my mouth.
  • Options
    I would do two separate registries.  You can tell people you have both and let them choose.
  • Options
    So, there is NOTHING you need for your new home?  What about some decorations?  Rugs, lamps, etc?  You could register for some softer colored items, like a nice white lamp that you could eventually use in the baby's room, but I wouldn't register for baby items specifically.  Register for items that could be used in living room/dining room or baby's room.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-items-registry-completely-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d07e676-1e43-4abf-b566-1ce2c3ff3b69Post:6a810005-c693-4f83-822b-e43cd602c4c2">Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, rude. Baby showers/registries are for baby items. They're two different life events.
    Posted by brookelynpaisley[/QUOTE]

I agree
  • Options
    I had a friend get married while pregnant last year-- He proposed around month 4, got married at 8 months (super risky!) and their regristry was chock full of baby things. Friends within our circle were commenting on how weird that was and no one wanted to buy them baby things. I wouldn't do it. Register for the few household things you could replace or still need, or don't register at all.

You can however make a separate baby registry of just baby things, because I'm sure close family members and close friends are going to be asking about a shower or if you need anything as your due date gets closer. Then you can give out that registry info by old fashioned word of mouth when people specifically ask about baby.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-items-registry-completely-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d07e676-1e43-4abf-b566-1ce2c3ff3b69Post:cefa1e04-1331-4fe5-a1d3-c674195af486">Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would decline to register and tell people that you're saving for baby items.  You'll likely get cash instead. Congrats!
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

This
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.

It's not that there's *nothing* we could use for our home, but we're looking at a temporary apartment arrangement for the next maybe 12-18 months.  So space is an issue too.

We're not going to be getting a baby shower, that has been spelled out for me by several parties. Which I guess I get, nobody wants to fly cross country to basically give us gifts/see how fat I am. :)  But if the route of not registering and hoping people give cash isn't rude, then we may go with that instead.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_baby-items-registry-completely-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d07e676-1e43-4abf-b566-1ce2c3ff3b69Post:2077252a-f9f6-4439-9856-a67bf9677bad">Re: Baby items on a registry - completely rude?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies. It's not that there's *nothing* we could use for our home, but we're looking at a temporary apartment arrangement for the next maybe 12-18 months.  So space is an issue too. We're not going to be getting a baby shower, that has been spelled out for me by several parties. Which I guess I get, nobody wants to fly cross country to basically give us gifts/see how fat I am. :)  But if the route of not registering and hoping people give cash isn't rude, then we may go with that instead.
    Posted by PiscesFish[/QUOTE]

Even if you don't get a baby shower....people will likely want to get you baby stuff. So it will be nice to have the baby registry, like others have suggested, so when they ask you what you need for the baby, you can just point to your baby registry. IF people ask where you're registered for your wedding, though...then yeah, I think it would be weird to point them to the baby registry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it's rude, but wierd maybe.

My friend got married in July and their due to have the baby early Oct. They recieved baby gifts at their wedding and were offended. There is a time and place to celebrate a new baby, your wedding isn't one of them.
  • Options
    i woudlnt put baby items on a wedding registry.

buti would create a baby registry as folks may still want to get you something for your baby outside of the wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards