Second Weddings

y a celebration question?

we decided we're getting hitched about 2 months ago -- After 8 yrs. , a house and a child together, we said "what they heck..let's do IT" . I have been married once and my man has never been married. So, we tell my family and mom says to me "y the celebration, if you've been down this road before"...talk about deflating!
So, my response was "well, I haven't done it with this person & we still want to celebrate in some way becasue it IS worth celebrating" -- that was the end of the discussion. Since then, there's been some lack of enthusiasm , but today she called to say that she's got all the dessert lists together (she's an awesome baker and will be doing all the desserts) and her shoes all ready to go. So, that was a nice treat to hear.

Re: y a celebration question?

• LindaN21LindaN21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So glad your Mom has come around!!  I had a hard time after my divorce since my parents did not really support me in my decision.  They are from the old school and think you should stay together no matter what!  Get real!  It has taken them awhile to accept my fiance but now they say they just want me to be happy.  Sometimes it does hurt when parents take so long to come around.  Good luck and be happy no matter what anyone thinks!  Also, my FI is one of twelve children so his Mom has not shown very much enthusiasm either.  He says its because there have been soo many weddings in the family but I think every wedding is special!!!
    Anniversary
  • BrooklclarkBrooklclark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I went through a similar situation. my parents didn’t really understand my situation because they were not present though out my last marriage. They didn’t know why I wanted to do it again. They eventually came around and more recently with the wedding a month away are getting very excited about the wedding. Good to hear that your mother is coming around. Good luck with your planning

• edited December 2011
    sof - Just as an FYI - I thought the y in your heading was a strange typo.  I don't think in text speak, and it makes it hard to read & comprehend.  Not snarking at you, just sharing some insight. ~Donna
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

sof - I'm glad your mom is getting more excited for your up coming wedding.

• edited December 2011
    sof,
    glad the family is coning around, it took my one sister a bit of time to come around and be excited about the wedding but she got there. I think we have all been through it to some extent.
    Just remember, no matter how many times you have been married, no one really cares as much about your wedding as you do.
    Come here to get your "wedding groove" on. We love to talk wedding here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards