March 2013 Weddings

New here! Saying hello and need some advice!

Hello! My name is Autumn, I am from Raleigh North Carolina and my fiance and I are tying the knot on March 23, 2013!

We got engaged a few weeks ago, so I have JUST started planning. I have a 6 months old daughter and am also in college, so I have been very busy! We booked our venue at a historic building and garden in downtown Raleigh, NC. It is beautiful! And cheap because it is owned by the city/state! Our color scheme is Charcoal Grey and Green, and I want to incorporate some Irish themes because of our heritage and the time of year :) We are having a lovely non-religious non-traditional ceremony, with Irish handfasting!I have a few questions for fellow bride-to-be's:

How far in advance did you book a caterer? We have one in mind, but I dont know how far out to book them!
My fiance and I have been living together for 3 years and have a daughter together, so I think the traditional wedding registery filled with new home gifts doesn't really fit our situation.. any ideas on what to register for/wher to register? 

Re: New here! Saying hello and need some advice!

• Congratulations! I'm so happy to see another NC bride on here! 

Book the caterer now. If you have who you want in mind, you need to go ahead and reserve them, especially since your wedding is on a Saturday. It's one less headache if you go ahead and lock them in. We booked our caterer 11 or so months in advance. 

As for the registry, time to upgrade the stuff you already have. Register for nicer versions of stuff you already have, or stuff that you like but would never buy for yourself (I bet your extra cash goes towards things for your little one). You'd be surprised what you'll end up wanting with a scan gun in your hand. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats!!! I agree with PPs, book caterer asap. Also, this is a great time to upgrade the kitchen stuff you have, get something on your dream list (mine is the stand mixer), and get some new bed sheets (I feel like bed sheets and towels are always a good gift because think about how much you use them and how quickly they get worn out). Best of luck! You picked a great wedding date!!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the great advice! I just called my favorite restaurant today (they actually catered my baby shower!) and they are available on the 23rd! Im excited! Im also going wedding dress shopping this Sunday, and turning in our paper work for our venue next week.. Boy I have been busy!! Oh, another question, did any of you guys print your own invitations? I have a good friend who is amazing a photoshop, so he is going to make a design for us (based of the super expensive invitations Ive been seeing online) and we are going to print it out on linen paper. Ive heard Staples/Kinkos will print them out for you on your own paper. Thank you!! Good luck!!
  • We aren't printing our own wedding invites, but we are printing our rehearsal invites with Vistaprint. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't say how they turned out yet but will let you know. I have heard that Staples and Kinkos can get the job done too, but Vistaprint was really easy and cheap so I would look into that too if I were you.

For our ceremony programs, place cards, and menus I'm printing those on my own printer. I bought off-white felt cardstock from ThePaperMill.com and it looks SO good, everyone who has seen my "rough draft" of the program thinks it was done professionally. If you use the linen paper I'm sure it will look great too, just make sure its a cardstock so it won't bend as easily as regular paper :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • After searching high and low and considering making my own invitations, I found this guy through Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/mybigdaydesigns

Reasonable price, safe me some time and monies spend on making my own invitations. I am not affiliated w/ the merchant at all. I actually just purchased my invitations from them last week and have to say that they are very patient and responsive to your emails. I have to keep changing little things around the invites and they accomodated every single one of them with no extra charge. Fees are very clear and no sales pressure. Good luck!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards