Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

I need help with something old, new, borrowed, and blue

I'll be getting married in April 2013 and I still have no idea what I'm going to be using for something old, new, borrowed, or blue. I have a couple of ideas, but they're not official. I'm thinking that the something new will be my wedding dress and maybe my garter or shoes will be blue. As for something old and/or borrowed, we really don't have any "family heirlooms" (crazy right?) that I could use. Any suggestions? What did you use? Did you have any trouble with this tradition? Thanks!

Re: I need help with something old, new, borrowed, and blue

• Old/Borrowed: an old hankerchief of my nana's that I borrowed from my aunt
    New: dress/shoes
    Blue: underwear
  • Blue:  Shoes
    New: Dress

Old/Borrowed:  I had no ideas, and nobody offered me anything, so I was just going to skip it.  My sister lent me her MIL's antique handkerchief to wrap around my bouquet.  

DSC_9275
  • Here's mine. I wwasn't planning on worryin about it, but I'm borrowing a headpiece from a friend so it happened anyway!

Old- handkercheif that was my great grndmothers
    new- dress, shoes, jewelry
    borrowed- blingy headpiece
    blue- a bouquet charm my daughter boght me from etsy with our initials on it (you wear it on a chain as a necklace after)
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • New- My dress, veil, necklace and earrings
    Old- A 1920s broach that I pined to my bouquet and the 1st bracelet DH ever gave me
    Borrowed- A diamond bracelet from my aunt
    Blue- My garter, bow on my undies and I Do stickers on my shoes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • New: my wedding dress
    Old: My baptisimal bonnet
    Blue: My shoes and garter
    Borrowed: My MOH's veil.

Your old doesn't have to be antique!  And did you check to see if there is a friend or someone on FI's side that has something old that you could borrow for the day?
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Have you checked out the stickie at the top of the board?  It has pages upon pages of suggestions/recommendations. Good luck!
  • New: shoes and jewellry
    Old: mom's veil
    Blue: underwear and toenails
    Borrowed: I'm planning to borrow a friend's ring for my right hand
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm like you. I totally wish I had family traditions. My friend has this ring that is passed down to every bride in the family. It's an older ring, but new to the bride. It's borrowed for the day, and it's a saphire. Genius right? But I digress.

I've had problems with my something blue. There are these cute blue underwear on etsy that have "Mrs. Insert Your Future Name" on the back. For something old, maybe a family locket intertwined in your bouquet. Perhaps even a favorte piece of jewlery that you love. No one said the old thing can't already be yours! Something borrowed, ask your firends and family. Mine was happy to give me great suggestions.
  • Old: My wedding band is my great-grandmother's.
    New: Dress/Shoes/Necklace
    Borrowed: Not too sure on this one yet. May see if my MOH/Sister will let me borrow her pearl earrings
    Blue: Undies, Garter, and I'm thinking about putting a sticker or drawing of the TARDIS on my shoe because I'm a huge nerd like that. Also technically, the TARDIS would count for something old, new, borrowed and blue, but I will have more traditional elements too.
  • Old: Great Aunt's diamond earrings that my SIL wore, and my sisters will wear.
    Borrowed: Aunt's diamond bracelet. I just saw her wearing it during the holidays and was like, 'hey, can I borrow that??' We're very close, so she was honored.
    Blue: Garter.
  • Old: my grandparents wedding rings.  I tied them into my bouquet. they were technically borrowed too since my aunt has my grama's and my mom has my papa's

borrowed: my grandfather's ashes.  my mom has a locket with his ashes in it and we pinned it in my dress

new: earrings

blue: garter
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • allychaseallychase member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Old: Butterfly brooch all of the girls in FI family wear in memory of FMIL mom
    Borrowed: Probably just going to use the butterfly brooch as borrowed too
    Blue: No freaking idea. I had no intentions of wearing anything blue with my ivory wedding dress. If I don't find something, I really don't care. I have a ton of other things to worry about lol

Edit: I just found a ton of gorgeous blue crystal brooches on ebay, I'm thinking of wrapping one on my bouquet. That would be pretty.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Old: Petticoat that my friend gave me. She wore in her wedding 5 years ago.
    New: Dress and just about everything else
    Blue: Rosary that I bought my Grandma on a trip to Croatia and when she passed away in 2008, she was laid out in the funeral home with it and my aunt gave it back to me.
    Borrowed: Mom's diamond earrings.
  • Wife KittyWife Kitty member
    First Comment
    edited November 2012
    Old: I will either wear my great-grandmother's aquamarine pendant (in which case it will also become my "borrowed" since it's one of my mom's favorite necklaces), or I will shop for a fabulous antique necklace as a statement piece. Also, my wedding ring will be my "old" as it is an Edwardian estate piece, and I'm getting a brooch bouquet that will likely have several "old" pieces to it. Fabric from my fiance's grandmother's wedding gown will be wrapped around the base, and used as streamers.

New: Haven't decided yet. I may just run out and buy something at the last minute.

Borrowed: See above for the aquamarine pendant, or I will likely borrow a bracelet from my mom if I haven't already bought one for my "new."

Blue: There's a blue bow tied onto my garter (which was also the garter my fiance caught at our friends' wedding in 2010... and I caught the bride's bouquet at that same wedding). I'm thinking I will also wear the blue topaz earrings that my stepdad gave me for my high school graduation, and I'll pin my grandma's blue costume brooch onto my bouquet somewhere.
  • Well old can also be borrowed or vice versa... is there a piece of jewelry you can borrow from your mom or something? necklace or earrings?

Mine's pretty easy- I'm borrowing my sister's shoes, my ring is his great-grandma's ring, the wedding dress is my "new" or my wedding ring is the "new" and the blue I am going to do a blue garter or blue underwear hahaa
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_i-need-help-with-something-old-new-borrowed-and-blue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:5ee129b9-7685-4df5-b81f-f29623d77d6bPost:5006b08c-9142-4fff-a34c-9b68101f6dd3">Re: I need help with something old, new, borrowed, and blue</a>:
    [QUOTE]Old: My wedding band is my great-grandmother's. New: Dress/Shoes/Necklace Borrowed: Not too sure on this one yet. May see if my MOH/Sister will let me borrow her pearl earrings Blue: Undies, Garter, and I'm thinking about putting a sticker or drawing of the TARDIS on my shoe because I'm a huge nerd like that. Also technically, the TARDIS would count for something old, new, borrowed and blue, but I will have more traditional elements too.
    Posted by heroeswearbrown[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>i never thought of the TARDIS being  a something borrowed/old. i may now have to incorporate that into it other then my cardbox is going to be a TARDIS. i am still looking for my something borrowed. my old will be my grandpas ring.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, my future MIL is making some beautiful pearl jewelry for me for our wedding day. I've decided that will be my something new. I think my something blue will be my garter. Still stuck on something old (maybe pennies from the years we were born...or met) and something borrowed. 
  • New:  dress
    Borrowed:  My mom's garter (I won't throw this one)
    Blue:  crystal anklet
    Old:  Vintage 1970s bridal purse
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards