Michigan-Detroit

Ok so reality set in....and I need help BIG time!!!

So My FI and I were talking about the wedding budget and originally we didnt really have on cause we were like "well we only get married once, so go big or go home" I am kinda thinking about that statment and I should QUIT saying that. I didnt really think about everything until I started adding everything up and I just think (actually I know) that it will take us a very long time to pay off the wedding and I dont want to start of out marriage in debt, sooo we are going to change everything around starting with our reception...Does anyone know where we could find a decent reception hall (please no VFW halls)? We are getting married in Downtown Northville so any where within the 10-15 mile radius should work. Smile

Thanks in Advance,
Mandee
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ok so reality set in....and I need help BIG time!!!

• Hi Mandee,
    Check out the sticky at the top for vendor reviews.  It's one of the posts that have a thumbtack next to it.
  • Not knowing your number of guests or budget, here are a few suggestions to get you started Smile

In downtown Northville, there's Genitti's Hole in the Wall, but I'm not sure how many they can accomodate. In downtown Plymouth, there's Meeting House Grand Ballroom.

In Livonia, there's the Italian American Banquet Center, Laurel Manor, and Greenmead (not all inclusive, but a beautiful option). And in Farmington, there's the Longacre House.

Are you open to hotels? Some of the area hotels have nice ballrooms.

• I'm still new to the knot lol...What are stickys?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Right now our reception is booked for Laurel Manor but it seems a bit to much so I think we are going to change it.
    We are looking at 150 guests and I cant change it because of both of our huge familes. I think I am going to knock my budget down to 10,000 dollars. I hope that is resonable...Idk Undecided
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • "Sticky" is the post at the very top of the Detroit page that has a push-pin with "Vendor" reviews, details, costs.

I'm not familiar with how Laurel Manor works, but unless they have a required amount of guests or minimum cost, you should be able to work with them. But I don't know, because I am not familiar with them. Is there a way to still have your reception there, but reduce the costs of the food and/or alcohol? We had simply beer, wine & a signature drink, no liquor.

Our wedding was at Greenmead, but they have a max capacity of 100.

I'd recommend checking the vendor tab on the Knot, as well as www.weddingchannel.com (affiliated with the Knot and your same log on works). They don't have common vendor lists, and Wedding Channel has bride reviews.

It is brutal to stick to a budget, and as a Mom (and former bride) I'm glad you both realized you can't go into debt for one day. SO not worth it. Hopefully you can get Laurel Manor to work within your budget, and can keep your reception there but have less of a cost per person.

Good luck.
  • mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Northville Hills and Fox Hills in Plymouth are both in your area also, if you're into the golf club setting, and neither are crazy expensive (we're getting married at Fox Hills and are paying about $85 per person). I loved Fox Hills from the moment I saw it -- the front facade is so pretty and the outdoor space is great, too.

There's also Meadowbrook, which is a private club, but they will find someone to "sponsor" you if you like it (not many pictures online, though -- and it's an older building).
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Awesome Smile 

So we may end up doing the recpetion at Cobblestone. I am going to call tomorrow. They seem like they would be a great match for us Smile

Thank you Sue-n-Kevin for your help with the Sticky thing...I never realized that was there lol. Smile and btw your wedding photos looks AMAZINGGGGGG!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have heard from people that Laurel Manor will definitely work with you. My suggestion would be Summit on the Park in Canton. We are paying about 60pp that includes everything out the door.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My reception hall was Pi Banquet Hall in Southfield. It's gorgeous and more in your price range ($40-65 pp depending on what you choose). I do think you absolutely need to make a full budget for every piece of your wedding. Is $10,000 just your reception venue budget or your total budget? Because 150 people at $60 pp is already $9000 with no tax or grat? So I assume thats just the reception? There's a reason why so many wedding articles discuss how important it is to set a detailed budget. I am a finance person so the budget was the first thing I did but weddings cost a lot more than I expected and you will find costs that you didn't anticipate unless you are very wedding planning savy (I was not). It will prevent a lot of stress so make a budget rather than just winging it :)
  • I stood up in a wedding at Meadowbrook Country Club (not to be confused with Meadowbrook Hall, VERY expensive) which is at 8 & Haggerty.  I know the bride was pretty budget conscious and I believe she paid about $25 per plate for a buffet before extras (like dessert and bar).  That was late 2010 so the prices may have gone up a tad.  The wedding was awesome and you can have the ceremony there outside as well if you wish.  I remember the food being pretty good.  The bride was very pleased with her experience.
  • Hey Mandee,
    a $10,000 budget is doable.  My budget was $15,000 and I ended up spending $10,787. I have 157 guests, and I was able to do everything that I wanted.  My reception cost was a little more than half of the total cost, but I also found amazing vendors for everything else. So far I am extrememely happy with everything.
  • I know it's a bit out of the way but I'm having my wedding and reception at Arnaldo's out in Riverview. Awesome food, service (so far), and reasonably priced. Plus no mandatory gratuity and it can accomodate your wedding size. It's just not really near Northville.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards