Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Church Reccomendations

Can anyone recommend a church.  Me and my FI are both Catholic born and raised yet are not allowed to get married in the Catholic church due to one of us being married before.  We tried getting an annulment through the church however I guess your ex cheating on you while being married, and later after the civil divorce getting married to someone else and having a child with that person is not grounds for an annulment hence you can't get married in the Catholic Church.  So that leads to us having to switch denominations.  We want a church wedding and join a new church but don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops it has taken a year to just to be given the answer no.   Any suggestions?

Re: Church Reccomendations

• Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh man.  I believe in spirituality, but I really hate these ridiculous rules that various religions apply arbitrarily to things like this.

Honestly.... I'm not sure that any church will consider you member enough.  When are you wanting to get married?  It is possible for you to get married in a non-church location, using a pastor?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure some churched don't require you to be a member to get married there.  My sister got married at a church that she chose based on aesthetic appeal.  Also the form that my church gave me has prices for member and non-members.  Is there a certain area where you are looking at?
    sad
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks knotties for responding.  Well up unitl now we went to church every Sunday so its not about siging up to be member thats not a problem.  I just didn't know if anyone could suggest somewhere to go where they would accept us?
  • Options
    achilvereachilvere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Unity.  It's a nondenominational church that would definately be willing to marry you whether you were a member or not, and it's a beautiful location.  The outside isn't that great, but the chapel has stained glass windows and an awesome huge window looking out on a hill with a giant tree.  It's absolutely gorgeous.  It's $600 to rent the chapel for the day.  The website is unitygr-walker.org.
  • Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_church-reccomendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:ffb0f95f-5934-4e32-827b-40fd3f698eedPost:3acb68d9-2139-4119-b4bf-7e55d1adc604">Re: Church Reccomendations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks knotties for responding.  Well up unitl now we went to church every Sunday so its not about siging up to be member thats not a problem.  I just didn't know if anyone could suggest somewhere to go where they would accept us?
    Posted by **meow**meow**[/QUOTE]

Sorry Meow, I didn't mean to imply that it would be a problem for you to go to church, just that churches require certain things to become one, and you may not have the time available to meet them.  Plus, the fees for non members for a lot of churches are outrageous.  Anywho, I hope you find something. :)
  • Options
    shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that Calvin college has a chapel that everyone can use (?).  I am sure there are others!  Maybe try Fountain Street Church?  Good luck!
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Options
    eandringaeandringa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally attend Kentwood Community Church and they accept everyone, and the only requirement that i know of them having for marriage is marriage counseling before getting married through the church. The church itself is non denominational.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't take offensive at all amoro ;-)  Its just frustrating and heartbreaking. Its taken a year to be told no we couldn't get married in the church we have attended since we where born and have no other options but to go elsewhere.  Thats all we ever known so its starting out at square one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards