Maine
Options

Bridal shops in Portland? UPDATED!

Any recommendations?  David's bridal freaks me out after some of the things I have heard... is the local one good or scary?  Are there any other places in Portland that anyone recommends?

Re: Bridal shops in Portland? UPDATED!

• Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone I know that went to David's Bridal at the mall had a bad experience with them, and I am speaking on behalf of at least 6 or so brides. When I went the attendant was rude and basically told me that I needed to wear a petticoat and that I was too fat to look good in a dress (I wear a size 16). Another friend of mine walked out after waiting for over an hour for her appointment to start, and then David's Bridal called her and called her rude for leaving an appointment! I would definitely recommend a local bridal shop. I'm going through Formal Image in Lewiston, they have been wonderful to me so far. I have also heard a lot of good stuff about Andrea's Bridal on Congress Street.
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What! too fat to look good in a dress??? I am so sorry that happend to you. I have not gone to David's because I was affraid something like that would happen to me..

but I haven't done major shopping trips yet. But I have looked around and talked with the sales people at Andrea's  Bridal in Portland on Congress St...and they were very helpful

also I have gone in to Eco Elegance in the old port...and they were awesome! they sell used bridal gowns, you can get a designer gown for a fraction of the cost.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Andrea's, that's where I am getting my bridesmaid dresses.  I am working with Julia and she has been great so far.  very helpful and nice.  And yes I would stay away from David's Bridal I have to get my MOH dress for my best friends wedding there and I hate dealing with them.  The girl the my BF was working with had no idea what she was talking about.  Overall poor service, poor quality, and poor product knowledge.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting my dress, my bridesmaids dresses, my moms dress & probably any other dress I need for the wedding at Andrea's Bridal!! I absolutely love it there :) Juila is fabulous & I love going in there!  Prices are reasonable & it's so nice! There's also Spoil Me (I think that's the name of it) in Falmouth that I've heard great things about! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There's also Spoil Me in Falmouth and Eco Elegance in Portland, which is a consignment shop. They have gorgeous dresses! You can get lots of designers for a lot less money. Some are also never-worn.

For the record, I was extremely happy with David's in SoPo. I got my dress and all the bridesmaids dresses there, and everything was wonderful! I just couldn't see spending a grand or more on a dress I'd wear for 6 hours, so David's was perfect for me.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting my dress from Formal Image in Lewiston, I'm spending less than $700 on a gorgeous Alfred Angelo dress. There are tons of dresses at smaller bridal shops for less than $1000. 
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Spoil Me in Falmouth and had an amazing experience. They ask you for your budget and if you find yourself veering towards out of your price range, they let you know (just to avoid falling in love with a $3000+ gown!) They have Paloma Blanca, Mikella (what I bought), and Modern Trusseau....plus I'm sure a couple of other designers. It's small, beautiful, clean and run by a great Mother and Daughter. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress by bridals by sandy in alfred...its near sanford!  i thought they had a good selection as well as a lot of sale dresses.  i know several other girls who got their dresses there and were very happy!  it's worth it to check them  out!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone!  I've sent a couple of emails...

Yeah, I stopped in at the local David's Bridal to check it out the other day and had this absolute horror of a consultant start hollering at me in her teeny tiny voice that I was waaaay behind schedule and just completely stressed me out.  So I will not be going there lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I went to Andrea's - they were fantastic!  I have an appointment on Wednesday and am FINALLY excited to try on dresses!

I also dropped in on Spoil Me - super nice owner, we had a great chat, but unfortunately it's not looking like Spoil Me would fit in my budget.  Bummer!

Anyway, the upshot is that so far Andrea's and Spoil Me are both great shops!

Thanks, everyone, for the input!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards