Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Second thoughts on reception venue?

Has anyone experienced having second thoughts on booking a reception venue? I booked the Madison in Covington, Crystal Ballroom, and now i'm beginning to think it's too small for my guests - specifically the dance floor! It says it holds 200 comfortably but up to 220 - though I feel it really looks "tight' if you put more than 200 in it. We chose the Madison because it was affordable and the people we worked with were great - not because it was our dream location or anything. Has anyone experienced having second thoughts over booking something? What did you end up doing?

Re: Second thoughts on reception venue?

• Options
    I had second thoughts all the time about our reception venue... Even to the point of checking out other places after booking our original venue. At the end of it all, we decided to stick to our original venue, and I'm really glad that we did. Just keep reminding yourself about the good reasons why you chose your venue, and if problems arise, try working with the venue staff to settle your concerns. Most places are willing to work things out.
  • Options
    I ended up canceling my initial location b/c a new venue popped up that I fell in love with. We had booked so far in advance, we received all of our money back. Look at your contract - find out what you'll lose if you cancel and weigh your options. It sounds like you were settling with the Madison, just in the way you describe it.

How far out is your wedding? If you have time and you think it is worth it - switch. I did. Because my venue was new, they had a lot of availability. Also something to consider, make sure you can find another spot before you cancel.

If your contract is solid and you've already paid or will lose a lot of money - try and make the best of it. The Madison is a nice place for a reception. I've been to several and for what you get it is a good deal. I had considered it as well.
  • Options
    We booked the Manor House in Mason.  It was where FI and I met so we wanted to have the reception there.  After signing all the paper work and putting down payments, the service has been less than optimal.  They started to tell us there were going to be new expenses, extra charges for gluten free meals (for a friend), etc.  They don't even have my name right.  My dad who is paying won't let us change anything, though we came up with a more budget friendly idea.
  • Options
    We did "settle" a bit on the Madison due to budget reasons. Someone told me that no matter where I am the day will go so fast and you'll be so happy that it really won't matter, so the venue shoudln't make or break it - and its things like photographers etc that are more impt. I thought that was an interesting thought. I am looking at new venues, we're about a year out and most are already booked (it's crazy how fast things book up), but I'm definitely keeping it on the table. We will lose our deposit but it's not super bad and I've heard of other places buying people's deposits even if they switch.

The problem hasn't been mgmt or service, just more me worrying about the space being large enough and wondering if I settled on something I should not have. I wish I had a crystal ball and could look back and say - glad we stayed there or so glad we moved :) Wouldn't that be nice?! haha.

Kari - i've heard of that issue w/that place - that's such a bad thing to deal with! I'd talk to your dad and present the more budget friendly idea and see what is holding him back from allowing you to do it. If the service is bad now, I question how much better it will get. Also, maybe you can talk to the venue and tell them that if this does not improve you will be leaving etc. I've heard of a lot of people take their wedding contracts to lawyers and they find loopholes. Not sure why, but I just heard that a few days ago. Good luck!
  • Options

How many people are you inviting? We had some people say "yes", and not show. We had people that just didn't respond at all. We invited about 230 people and ended up with 180. The venue told me the room could accomodate 240.

Looking back now, I'm glad we only ended up with the 180 b/c it was more comfortable for everyone. 

• Options
    That's what we're trying to figure out - how many we can. If I would *like* 200ish and it holds up to 220, I figured we'd be okay inviting around 235 or so. Esp since May is such a busy month. That really bites that some people just never RSVP or some say yes and don't show (though I do understand things happen). I've heard of friends calling and asking on behalf of the person but i'm sure that doesn't cut down on all. Thanks!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_second-thoughts-on-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:7ec01f73-0614-4d82-8e18-74cc6eec8ca0Post:084cdd7a-f919-4031-9e42-9a9102eb4c10">Re: Second thoughts on reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many people are you inviting? We had some people say "yes", and not show. We had people that just didn't respond at all. We invited about 230 people and ended up with 180. The venue told me the room could accomodate 240. Looking back now, I'm glad we only ended up with the 180 b/c it was more comfortable for everyone.   
    Posted by e_brenda[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    LizzyRBLizzyRB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Yep! Def! The place I really wanted we chose not to book because we could not hold the ceremony and reception there. The costs to have them at two different places added up fast so we went with the place second on our list.

I used to see pictures of place 1 and regret the choice. After a while, once it was set with place 2, I was happy and ok. THEN the place we booked started totally flaking out and I regretted having a big wedding at all and considered eloping. Heck I still do. I guess that is why they get deposits!

Still sticking to venue 2, and I know the day will be great, but I understand the ups and downs :)
  • Options
    LizzyRBLizzyRB member
    Jenn, is that the upstairs room or downstairs? Or middle
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_second-thoughts-on-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:7ec01f73-0614-4d82-8e18-74cc6eec8ca0Post:71c9744e-2bdf-4d01-bbd2-206a932b30df">Re: Second thoughts on reception venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jenn, is that the upstairs room or downstairs? Or middle
    Posted by LizzyRB[/QUOTE]

<div>The Crystal is the room in the back as soon as you walk in - not up or downstairs. We ended up looking again this weekend and decided to move to The Emerald, upstairs vs finding an entirely new venue. That way we don't have to lose a deposit nor be stressed about the amount of people we're inviting and the size of the room. It may not be my number 1 choice, but I also feel better having made the decision and to stick to it now. Someone told me that the day of you'll have such an amazing time and it'll be great no matter where you are, and to focus on the things I am getting that I really want (like church and photographer) and the ease of not having to stress over money. That's helped a lot :)  And maybe avoiding photos of the other places, haha :) I'm sure yours will all work out great, Lizzy!</div>
  • Options

At one point - I was having 2nd thoughts regarding the entire wedding - should have went with a destination wedding like I originally wanted!

But I <3 our venue - Embassy Suites Rivercenter...with a beautiful view of the city I adore.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LizzyRBLizzyRB member
    Firefly, that's the place that we wanted first! ha! Congrats :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards