Jewish Weddings
Options

Never been to a baby naming before, do I bring a gift?

This isn't a wedding related question but I thought you ladies might be able to help. I was invited to a baby naming, I've never been to one before and I don't know if guests are expected to bring anything. I don't know if I should bring a gift for the baby, money for a college fund, or flowers for the new parents. Or nothing at all.

The baby's grandma will be cooking so I guess there is some sort of lunch/reception after the service. I don't know if that makes a difference gift-wise.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Re: Never been to a baby naming before, do I bring a gift?

• Options
    Danaz1Danaz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes typically you bring a gift.  Something small is fine. I always buy books because they can be used longe then toys or clothes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A check is always appreciated; the new parents can put it in a college or other kind of savings fund for the baby.
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only been to two, but neither were gift-giving occasions. In both cases, they took place shortly after the birth of the baby and everyone had already given gifts for the baby's birth. No gifts were expected and none were given.
  • Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All of the baby namings I've been to were like bris' - it was the first time we were seeing the family after the baby was born, so, yes, we give a gift.  However, if the baby naming ceremony is being done on Shabbos in shul (as we are doing for our daughter) it wouldn't be appropriate to bring a gift, so, in that case, I would send something.

A gift of money are appropriate - whatever you would normally give as a gift.  Since, in my circle, a jewish mother-to-be wouldn't have a shower, I tend to do both - a check and a small gift.
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A gift is always appreciated - sometimes I make a meal if I it's a good friend, books & cheques are good ideas.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_never-baby-naming-before-bring-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:3254dab4-877e-4776-a30f-2d201b2e7b92Post:0a3ef80b-52d7-45b8-9414-413807bf1d41">Re: Never been to a baby naming before, do I bring a gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All of the baby namings I've been to were like bris' - it was the first time we were seeing the family after the baby was born, so, yes, we give a gift.  However, if the baby naming ceremony is being done on Shabbos in shul (as we are doing for our daughter) it wouldn't be appropriate to bring a gift, so, in that case, I would send something. A gift of money are appropriate - whatever you would normally give as a gift.  Since, in my circle, a jewish mother-to-be wouldn't have a shower, I tend to do both - a check and a small gift.
    Posted by LBRM_NJ[/QUOTE]

That should say "a gift OR money"...
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with LBRM_NJ; a naming may not be, depending on your level of observance, on par with a bris, it's still a very special and important time and a gift would be appreciated.  As mentioned, if it's on Shabbat, then I'd send something before or after.

If there is no baby registry, then I'd give a monetary gift so that it can be used as the parents see fit - which for many, it's a warm welcome because diapers and other baby supplies are very expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your replies. 

It turns out I won't be able to go to the baby naming itself but I found their baby registry and will send them a gift. Can anyone suggest an appropriate value for the gift? I know there have been some discussions on gift amounts for Jewish weddings and for Bat/Bar-mitzvahs and I found those conversations very insightful. Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. I just thought I'd ask this question rather than making the wrong assumption and possibly sending a too-cheap gift. I'm not close with these people. I went to elementary school with the new father but we've barely seen each-other since 7th grade. 

Thanks again for your advice. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anything on the registry is fair game so you shouldn't have to worry about value.  Depending on what's left, I say something hovering around $50 would be good.  If you get a lot of small things (say if they have lots of t-shirts and small baby clothes, that aren't expensive) it would work, otherwise just look for one thing to buy within a price range you can afford.  They won't be expecting something huge - as it's said, it's the thought....
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not close with these people. I went to elementary school with the new father but we've barely seen each-other since 7th grade. 

I know I already wrote that I haven't given anything for a baby naming since I've already given a gift before the few that I've attended. But in the circumstances you wrote about, I definitely wouldn't give anything -- you're not going and apparently barely know these people. A polite decline and a card would be more than enough. If you do feel you need to get them something, I'd go really minimal -- maybe a little outfit. 

Baby namings aren't common in my circle, but when they do occur, they're immediate family only. This sounds like they've invited everyone they ever said hello to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards