Favors

Cake pops?

Has anyone done these as favors? And is it a decent DIY project or best left to pros?
Scrabble high score: 531

Re: Cake pops?

• edited December 2011

IMO super super super time consuming. 

• edited December 2011
    I'm actually doing a trial run of a batch this weekend! I'm going to do one batch of brownie pops, and one batch of cake pops! I'll let you know how they turn out! (and even though they might be time consuming...they aren't any more time consuming than any other DIY favor that I'm considering). I'll keep you posted!
  • edited December 2011
    dani - i was considering goig this route, but I got stuck on how to keep them fresh until the wedding?  Freezer? 
  • sabatronsabatron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are cake pops expensive to buy? They seem like they're pretty trendy right now.
    Scrabble high score: 531
  • Sweetie1and2Sweetie1and2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    be careful.  Cake goes stale really fast!  If you are going to freeze them also do a freezer test. 
  • edited December 2011
    My entire bridal party and family is trying to talk me out of making this favor, but I'm convinced it will be fun! I'm going to do a trial and complete some right away, I am also going to freeze part of the bulk broken up cake, and then I'm going to ball some of the cake up, and freeze them like that...to see how long they will stay good for. I know that the best way to do them is to make them, refrigerate them, and eat them the next day...so I'll let you know how my freezer experiment turns out!
  • edited December 2011
    Also! I found them in Los Angeles for $30 a dozen...but that's out of my budget.
  • edited December 2011
    Could someone explain what exactly cake pops are?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cake-pops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:0264a100-43bf-4f9d-8bb9-64cf384bd7dcPost:88fbf206-184f-45f3-8982-89d0f76f9f8c">Re: Cake pops?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could someone explain what exactly cake pops are?
    Posted by Angelicteardrops[/QUOTE]

I'm GUESSING they're like lollipops, only made out of cake....like a cake on a stick or something.  But I don't know.  Never heard of them before this post myself.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    My friend does this in los angeles - www.ilovepopcakes.com

she does provide a bulk discount for orders />200
  • edited December 2011
    Cake pops - you bake a cake... let it cool, break it into pieces, and add jelly or frosting to make a mixture that can be made into balls.  (Cant be too dry or they fall apart, cant be too sticky) Pop a stick into the balls and then dip into chocolate.  And tadahhhh cake pops. 
  • edited December 2011
    Cake pops are great...I make them for birthdays and holiday parties but I can not imagine making them for a wedding they take a lot of time and are not cheap once you add the chocolate, sticks and bags to cover them.
  • tjoschkotjoschko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking about doing a batch of them for the candy table - not enough for every guest - I was just thinking that they looked pretty and whoever got to them first got one. 

http://www.bakerella.com/wedding-cake-pops/

They are so cute but again I don't know if it's practical at all - this is one of those ideas that I think would be great but I am not banking on doing.  My thought on them is that if I have time great and if not, oh well.
  • asamarawasamaraw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that popcakes websites is one of the cutest ideas i've ever seen. I would've never thought of doing something so time consuming especially since I want a wedding cake so it seems like you should choose one or the other almost.. but those are sooooo adorable.
  • lmcit23lmcit23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG they are delish put must be fresh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards