Catholic Weddings
Options

long distance planning

Has anyone married in a Catholic church where neither the bride or groom was a member (Baptised & Confirmed - just not a member of that particular church)?  I'm trying to plan a wedding long distance and I think I am going to have problems with this.

Re: long distance planning

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were in your boat. We got married in H's church, however, right before we were engaged he moved out of state due to his job. Since he was not technically a member of that church anymore, we were charged non-parishoner fees.

However, I have heard of some churches requiring you to be registered parishoners before starting any marriage prep/pre-cana.

I would just contact the priest where you would like to get married and ask him about it. Or the church secretary may be able to help you as well.

Also, catholicweddinghelp.com is a great site if you are just starting to plan.
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its going to depend a lot on the priest and the parish.
    I wouldn't think you will run into major problems. Email the priest/deacon/whoever is in charge to find out what the rules are and what requirements you'll have to fulfill.

I'm getting married at my parents' church in Toledo OH, and they're moving out of town so technically it won't even be their church anymore. We'll pay the parishioner rate (even if it would be a problem with them moving, they are active in the church and know the deacon well, so I don't think we'll be charged extra). We are having our priest from Pittsburgh marry us, so he is doing all of the marriage prep with us (but I emailed the deacon in Toledo to make sure it was ok). Other than that we'll just have to send in the paperwork to the diocese of Toledo.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    jldeesjldees member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards