New Hampshire

How far away is your location?

We are still trying to decide on a reception location. We live in Derry and we checked out Promises, Castleton and Bedford Village Inn. We LOVED the BVI but we really want a Saturday night and it was quite pricey.

The only other places I am interested in checking out are really far away, some places up by Mt Washington and Lake Winnipesaukee. I feel like they are just too far way. It seems like it would be almost like a destination wedding. Most of our guests will be coming from North Shore MA, a few from Maine and a few from Southern NH.

How far away is your location in relation to where you and your guests live?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How far away is your location?

• edited December 2011
    I live in northern MA and my FI is from CT.  We both have friends and immediate family from CT, MA, NH, and other family that will be coming in from TX, IL, and FL.  We are getting married at the Granite Rose in Hampstead in August. We did plan our wedding about a year and a half out, and sent our STD's back in January.  Most of the New England folks are coming, but we do have some that are further away that can't make the trip.  I feel like if you give enough notice, people will be able to plan accordingly.  I'm sure friends and family will make every effort to come to your special day! :) HTH! GL!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_far-away-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:f64b8c66-c5b1-4284-b0d4-b1f9b5672a9dPost:0fb97626-ce40-4dca-8ca9-8e734c204b80">Re: How far away is your location?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in northern MA and my FI is from CT.  We both have friends and immediate family from CT, MA, NH, and other family that will be coming in from TX, IL, and FL.  We are getting married at the Granite Rose in Hampstead in August. We did plan our wedding about a year and a half out, and sent our STD's back in January.  Most of the New England folks are coming, but we do have some that are further away that can't make the trip.  <strong>I feel like if you give enough notice, people will be able to plan accordingly.  I'm sure friends and family will make every effort to come to your special day!</strong> :) HTH! GL!
    Posted by dhdaydream[/QUOTE]

Thank you. That does help. I know the most important people will come no matter what, but I didn't even think about just giving everyone plenty of notice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We live in southern NH, but I grew up north of the Lakes Region, and DH grew up northern MA. We both went to school in NH, but didn't feel drawn to the area for our wedding.

We ended up getting married at the church I went to growing up and had our reception in the Lakes Region. Our wedding was only local for a few of our friends from my hometown and my immediate family. It was a destination wedding for everyone else (DH's family, our friends, my extended family). 

It's always nice to not have to travel for a wedding, but sometimes people will make a weekend out of it. We ended up having a ton of our family and friends using our location and wedding as an excuse to take a mini-vacation. No matter where you have your wedding, the people that matter most will be there. 
  • edited December 2011
    We live in Derry.  Our wedding is in Windham, at Castleton.

Our family if from Somerville, Revere and the South Shore.  We also have people coming from Maine, Virginia, Kentucky and Georgia.

I keep getting tons of complaints but it was the only place really in our budget so they'll have to deal.  Its over a year away and they have time to figure things out.
  • ladyd522ladyd522 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I grew up in Derry but live in Nashua now & we are getting married on Lake Winnipesaukee. All of FI's family lives in MA.  It's going to be a fun mini getaway weekend for everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker> Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I felt the same way!  I would have loved to choose a location in the Lakes Region or White Mtns., but with Fi's familiy almost completely in MA, I felt that it was too far to ask them to drive.  That being said, if we had asked them to, I'm sure they would have because they're family! GL!
    Anniversary
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We live on the seacoast; my immediate family is on the MA border and his is in Maine and MA.  We're getting married at Searles Castle in Windham, NH.  It works out to be roughly an even split for driving for his family and mine, where it's not a short drive but not so long that they don't have to spend the night if they don't want to.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with a pp.... give plenty of notice for people to plan ahead and it can work!  Make sure it's a weekend that has lodging available (and affordable options, too).  NH is notorious for race week, foliage season, etc.

I was a BVI bride and couldn't/didn't want to afford a Saturday either.  Our wedding on Sunday was just as beautiful though.  Hope you find something you love!
  • edited December 2011
    Try Atkinson Country Club, it's beautiful there.  I will be traveling about 35 minutes to get there.  I'm inviting people from Maine, Arizona, Michagin, Conn, MA, RI, FL.  If they come...they come....if they don't....we're still going to have a great day!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I have people coming from all over MA and NH.. to Nashua, NH. It's over an hour from where I live, where I grew up, a lot of guests, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    I had guests from NH (Plymouth and Nashua area), MA (from Haverhill to Fall River) and RI (West Warwick area)

Our ceremony was in Haverhill, MA and our reception in Andover, MA so some guests traveled as little as 15 minutes, some over 2 hours. 

If they want to come to your wedding, the will.

However, you do have to think of your guests, traveling expenses, and how far they would be willing to come and what type of people they are. Are they okay with traveling? Staying over night? etc

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married in Hollis, NH with a reception at Sky Meadow Country Club in Nashua, NH.

The mojority of our guests are coming from NH (as far away as Plymouth and Portsmouth) and the Boston north shore.  We're also having guests fly in from CA.

We really wanted to try and keep the time local guests had to travel under and hour.  I too was considering places in the Lakes region in NH, but we didn't want to inconveniece our guests (those that wouldn't make a mini vacation out of it).

In addition to Sky Meadow I recommend checking out Brookstone Park in Derry, NH.  One of my BMs got married there last year and it was beautiful and very budget friendly.  There are two affordable hotels within 10-15 min of the golf course in Salem, NH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is 45 mins from where I currently live, but all of my family is from central mine and FI's family is spread out around the country.
  • Dawn7233Dawn7233 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning my wedding for NH even though I live in MA.  FI family is from here and my family is mostly in central ME, so everyone's going to have to travel!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I grew up in Chester, and my FI is from Derry. Right now, we live near Peterborough (western NH). We are having our reception at the Blue Ocean Music Hall in Salisbury, MA. It's close to 2 hrs from where we currently live, but much closer for our guests. (Plus, it's right on the ocean!)
  • sunshine9779sunshine9779 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many of our guests will have to travel a few hours to get to the Lakes Region of NH.  We have chosen to have an early ceremony so the reception will be over by evening.  That way if guests want to stay for the weekend, they may in one of the local hotels.  If they plan to go home, that's fine too!  I'm thinking of going out on the M/S Mt. Washington boat afterward for those who want to stick around.
  • edited December 2011
    We live in Londonderry and our wedding is in Nashua . I have family in both Ma and all over NH. Most of FI's family/friends are from various states and will be flying in (N.Carolina, Georgia, NY, NJ, Maryland)

We gave them as much notice as we could and hoped for the best. There are quite a few people that are not coming due to various reasons like money or kids in school but we expected that. Either way it's our wedding day and it's going to be a great day!

Check out Nashua Country Club. Michelle has been wonderful to work with and they were really great about working within my budget (which is smaller than most). GL!
    Anniversary
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered checking out Brookstone in Derry?  or Atkinson Country Club?  Both of those venues are nice--I don't know about their prices though.

Our ceremony/reception are in the same place, the Shattuck Golf Club in Jaffrey, which is an hour away from where we live in Nashua.  It is sort of a 'destination' wedding going from the city over to the Monadnock region--but we love it out there and the prices were 'friendly'. We really wanted to find somewhere for a beautiful outdoor mountain wedding with an indoor reception area at the same location.

Because it is far away, and ...1) We didn't want pp to get lost, and 2) We didn't want to risk pp drinking/driving,... we booked guest shuttle(s) for transportation.  A 32-passenger mini-coach will go from the 'Park & Ride' commuter lot in Nashua to Jaffrey.  We have smaller 14-passenger shuttles that will transport between the hotel in Keene, (where some guests are staying), to the venue and back.  Of course, this was added costs--but we think it is worth it for peace of mind and for the convenience of guests since it is so far away.  We used Thomas Charters (see vendor section of bio link below) for our guest shuttles.

We have people coming from everywhere...NH, MA, NY, NE, TN, KS, CA, and Canada.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I live in MA but am getting married in NH, my venue is an hour and 20min away and my guests are coming mainly from southern CT, MA, and RI
  • ajweden84ajweden84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at The Common Man Inn & Spa in Plymouth - but we live in Maine. I grew up in Plymouth - and my FI grew up in Pittsfield.  I know its a little drive for the but mostly everyone is staying at the Inn so everyone seems to be good with it!

Its nice though because the rehersal dinner, wedding and recemption with all be there! : ) Once their there - no traveling : )

We also have guests from MA, VT and NY - so I thought it was nice it was at the Inn.  Also there is a pool there so during the day when the kiddo's are bored they will have something to do!
  • sdrinon07sdrinon07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married just north of the White Mountains...about a 2.5 hour drive for a lot of our guests, a 5 hour drive for some and then the rest came from wayyy out of town (NY, TN, CA). Not one person complained and everyone was so excited to turn it into a weekend getaway during foliage season. Best decision we made was where we decided to hold our wedding...not once did we worry about the distance. We just looked at it as a mini-destination wedding and provided our guests with TONS of info so they never had to wonder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards