Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

help me

I am a fan of China,and interested in Chinese culrure very much. As I am getting married in the near future, and intend to pick a Chinese-style wedding dress which combines the traditional and modern style,which I feel would be a great idea. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Re: help me

• Can you include a tea ceremony as part of your ceremony?
  • Are you Chinese?  Are you Buddist, Taoist?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Could you do a traditional Chinese dinner as your rehearsal dinner? A Dallas girl on our local boards did this, and she was able to go all out for the rehearsal dinner per her choice, and have a big traditional wedding per her FI's choice.
  • In Response to Re:help me:[QUOTE]If you are not Chinese, I think borrowing a culture could be offensive to those who are of that tradition.nbsp; Be careful. Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

I agree. Apeing other cultures because "omg it's like totally awesome!" Is disrespectful.

However if you have roots or ties to the culture, or your FI does, carefully research and replicate the traditions, and perform them with reverence. They matter to people deeply, and that should matter to you.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_help-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:99e3f7d6-8fe3-433e-99c7-1edf9ca10314Post:903be27e-f0d4-4509-8e92-4bb29b7ddcbb">Re: help me</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are not Chinese, I think borrowing a culture could be offensive to those who are of that tradition.  Be careful.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a good point.  I'd find out what parts of Chinese culture would be acceptable to incorporate into your wedding, and then go from there.  So I retract my earlier suggestion if it's against Chinese culture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards