Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

NWR: Phones - AT&T

Does anyone have a phone with AT&T that is NOT an iphone?  If so, what do you have? Do you like it?

I'm finally out of contract with verizon and my blackberry is currently being held together with scotch tape, so its time.  I'm thinking about switching to AT&T if I can get on DH's plan and save some moolah, but I don't want an iphone.  I went to their website and wasn't impressed with their selection.  I'd love a Droid. If I stay with Verizon, I'll definitely switch to a Droid, just not sure which one.

What do you have?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Phones - AT&T

• edited December 2011
    From what I've heard, stay with verizon. I have an iphone and I'm just waiting till October to switch to FI's phone plan. My sister is researching AT&T phones, and can't find any that don't seem flimsy. The touch screens are all kinda ick, and IMHO, the service seems to be better w/Verizon.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    AT&T is the worst coverage of every cell phone in the world, besides maybe t-mobile.

Stick with Verizon or go to Sprint!   and tell Rob to switch too!   
  • edited December 2011
    paprika - I agree, I've had verizon for years and never had a problem, I've been really happy with them. My only reason for switching would be to save money.  I feel like I spend a LOT on my phone.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and to answer the original question, I have the HTC Evo.  Got it last week and loveeeee it.
  • edited December 2011
    I think he just signed a new 2-year contract, so he's probably stuck.  I'm a free agent though. 

Does the HTC Evo use the Droid OS?
  • edited December 2011
    Do you regularly use the apps and internet on your phone?  If not, cut out the data plan (and get a simpler phone) and you'll end up with just a basic phone/text plan that should be less than $50.

I have the first Droid and like it.  I don't get all into the apps though so I'm sure I'm wasting my $$$.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree -- get Rob to switch to Verizon. We have AT&T and we hate it. Eric has a ton of dropped calls in the city. I dont have as many but do have quite a few issues. I have an iPhone so I can't help you there. I'll have to find out which model Eric has because he absolutely hates it. Its the one that has a full 8.1 megapixel camera in the phone, but aside from that its a piece of crap.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

FI's been trying to convince me for a year now to switch. We used to have verizon waaaay back in the day, and we didn't get service at our house, so I switched to AT&T. I've been with them for 6 years, but I keep getting random charges on my bill that they can't explain... and they'll only go back 3 months to credit any discrepencies. I have to stay on my bill every month now to verify it.

The only thing I'm concerned with w/verizon is that since I'll be switching iphone to iphone, is the fact that I can't get on the internet while I'm on the phone. Doesn't sound like a big deal, right? I'm just not sure how much I'm going to miss that feature.

Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We switched about a year ago from Verizon to Sprint because of cost.

ooodsie - I am so jealous of your Evo. I can't get a full upgrade until October and my blackberry is working like crap!
  • edited December 2011
    MH - I mainly use my phone for the internet and data usage apps, so I need to have something that's good for that.  I also have the first generation droid (its my work phone) and I love the phone, except its heavy as a brick.  I LOVE that I can hit a button, say "navigate to _____" and within 30 seconds its giving me turn-by-turn directions.  So I'm sold on Droid.  I was looking at the Droid Pro (droid phone with blackberry keyboard) but its getting horrible reviews.

Paprika - that's the big deal now about the verizon iphone.  i'm sure they will come out with a new one soon to fix that problem.

If I did go to AT&T and iphone, I'd wait until June to either get the new one, or get the current one at a much cheaper price.
  • Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Am I the only one who likes AT&T?  JEGs and I have had AT&T for years and we've never had a problem.  I have one small area on the turnpike that my calls drops, but i can use my phone in the helicopter at 1000 ft in the air. 

That being said, I jus got the LG Vue Plus, but I don't need bells and whistles on my phone.  I make calls, text and occassionally take pictures.  I'm old skool.

JEGs has the Samsung Focus and he really really likes it so far.  THere are a couple things that he gets frustrated about, but htey are suuposed to be fixed with the next update.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amer - I like AT&T too and have no problems with it at all.  But then again, I live in a different state, so I can't really compare to the coverage in the Philadelphia area.  Although when I'm home visiting family, I never have any problems either.

• edited December 2011
    I didn't used to have problems with AT&T- I was the biggest advocator for them for a long time... Its recently- I'll have 20-30 bucks in charges that I didn't authorize. A month! As a matter of fact, the phones that arent iphones can get ringtones through media mall. I used to have a shine, so I'd use media mall all the time, and had a subscription to it. You don't use that for an iphone, and the people at AT&T refuse to take it off, so it charges me $10 a month just for that. I can't turn it off, because I don't have the same internet access as I used to.

I called them on it once, and they said they'd take care of it, so I didn't bother checking again. Six months later, I looked on my bill for someone's phone number and saw the charges all on there, and they'd only go back 3 months, even though I had records of the 6 months of charges. I guess the service isn't bad, but the customer service isn't awesome. At all. And in specific buildings, I get terrible service, but FI will have full bars on his droid. I'm constantly having to use my wifi to get on websites/apps.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • edited December 2011

Charlie and I have AT&T and love it. I live in DE yet work in PA.... I never have had a problem with AT&T..... But I am not in the city. I have the IPhone so I cant help you there either. Charlie has the Blackberry Bold...

• edited December 2011
    My only problem with AT&T is that reception in my office is spotty at best.

And if it was legal to marry inanimate objects, my iPhone and I would be walking down the aisle tomorrow. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have AT&T (iphone) and I love it!  I've never had problems with the service.  In fact, I've been out with some of my friends with Verizon and at times they don't have service when I did.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Evo is fantastic and yes it's a droid, droid 2.2 actually.  I love it, seriously, love it.  You can play with it the next time I see you if you haven't bought a phone before then.
  • edited December 2011
    We were doing some research tonight and looking at the Evo.  How is the 4G?  Rob asked me to ask you if you are able to get it a lot, especially over in this area?  I think we're going to go look on Saturday.  I'm over AT&T becuase I don't like any of their non-iphone phones.  So I'm sort of between Verizon's DroidX and Droid Incredible, and Sprint's EVO.
  • nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We love AT&T.  Where our house is located (at the bottom of a hill) it's the only company that gets us decent reception (no idea why).  My neighbor up the street has Verizon and she loses at least fifty percent of her calls.  I think the reception is bascially based on where you live and work and how good it is.  The only time I had a problem was when I worked doing TV editing and the building had all the editing equipment on the 2nd floor, no one on the first floor could call out using a cell of any kind w/out going outside! That was a major pain! The company finally moved their offices (tho I don't think that was their main reason! LOL).  We lose calls when we hit a low pocket sometimes or going over the bridge to NJ but since I don't talk and drive it doesn't bother me  at all.  Also that seems to be happening to other carriers as well, although I wouldn't go as far as to say all of them.  I just picked up the old iPhone for fifty dollars at AT&T.  I use limited internet but needed access to my email occasionally.  It works for what I need it for.  I love the touch screen, got a plastic cover that keeps it from getting full of fingerprints etc.  Best investment of all! Even better than the phone! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards