Getting in Shape
Options

low carb diet

I was wondering if anyone has been on a low carb before and how it worked for them.  My doctor has me eating less than 60 carbs a day. 
www.mromag1.weebly.com

Re: low carb diet

• Options
    My opinion of low carb diets is they suck as soon as you start eating carbs again you gain all your weight back.   Carbs are your friend.  You just have to learn when to eat them and which ones to eat. 
  • Options
    Don't do it! I did South Beach when I was in college and was miserable. As PP said, I got to the point where all I craved were carbs and potatoes and ended up gaining back more then I lost. It's a crash diet technique that doesn't work and isn't great for you.
    TEST
  • Options
    Obviously, I hate what Adkins and South Beach have done to everyone's psyche.  Carbs are not bad!!  But you did say your doctor has you on a plan so I'm curious as to what their reasoning may be.  Did they recommend a specific meal plan and/or specific things you should be eating? 

In my personal situation, I could never go on a "low carb diet".  I know lots of people say that protein helps them feel fuller but I feel that way about having a carb-heavy item in each meal (i.e. a piece of whole grain bread or a pita).  I'd be so cranky and hungry all the time. 

Obviously, I hope your doctor recommended that when you do eat carbs that they come in the form of fruits, whole grains, steel cut oats, etc. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    How long does your doctor intend you to be on this diet? Is he going to compensate you for your time and effort when all the weight comes back once you start eating a normal amount of carbs again. Cutting carbs isnt the answer, cutting the TYPE of carbs is. If you eat most of your carbs from whole foods - fruit, veggies, dairy, whole wheats - they dont have as harsh an impact.
  • Options
    Carbs are not bad! Just watch your portion size. If you are out to dinner, try eating half of a piece of bread versus two or three pieces ( which is easy to so while waiting for your meal). I agree with the PPs.. Once you start eating carbs again if you cut them out completely, you will gain all of your weight back. Just like people that wear layers and layers of clothing to workout, sweat and "lose weight". As soon as they rehydrate, the weight comes back.

Its all about moderation!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_low-carb-diet-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:e643921e-fc49-43f5-90bc-5e1293bfd5fdPost:2c47431c-c59f-47c0-8c24-8a4904adfa42">Re: low carb diet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't Do It! I was on Atkins for a while, and although you will lose some serious belly weight, as soon as you eat normal again you totally gain it all back and then some. Because you are depleting such a huge food group from your diet you will see differences in your body. For instance, I began losing hair which is pretty common on the Atkins diets! You may get the stomach you want, but you'll lose your beautiful wedding hair! I've actually started eating little meals throughout the day and found that this works great for me! Maybe that might help!
    Posted by marrymejoe828[/QUOTE]

i have to disagree with this post.
    Atkins isn't about <strong>not</strong> eating carbs.  It's about filling your body with veggies, healthy fats and protein.  And, like every diet, unless you stick to it and make it a way of life of COURSE you will gain your weight back.

i have been eating low carb for just about 10 weeks. i'm 25 lbs down, my hair and skin are great, i'm down 2 dress sizes and have crazy amounts of energy.
    i eat way more veggies than i ever did on WW or any other diet, have cut out booze and refined sugars and have zero cravings.

the whole idea with any diet is encouraging portion control, moderation and learning how to say no to yourself.

Also, if you follow the program you eventually eat bread etc.  Whether you want to or not is another story. I do not feel deprived, snacky or wishing i could eat junk food. 

as with every diet however it really is a personal thing.  u have to find what works for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards