Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Ahhhh I need a photographer!

So I can't afford Stacy Reeves. I've realized that. But is it so much to ask that I want a "Stacy Reeves in-the-making"? Someone who hasn't started charging what they're worth yet? I just want someone decent in the 2 thousand range... like maybe a recent photography major graduate. Any suggestions? I wish picking a photographer was as easy as a videographer!

Re: Ahhhh I need a photographer!

• I am a photographer but I do not do weddings and do not advertise for them ;). I have a network of photographers in the DFW area including Stephanie Brazzle, The Mcgowan family, Stacey Reeves herself and so so so many more. There are just so many great wedding photographers. I ALWAYS suggest Stephanie Brazzle because she is my personal wedding photographer! I think she's worth way more than she charges and I think her's and Stacey's are very similar in style.
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • I'm using Cindy and Saylor, they are in the $2500 range I think for the lowest package and includes E-pics, 2 photographers for up to 8 hours.
    http://cindyandsaylor.com/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I used Hampton Morrow Photography and have been thrilled with the results.

You could also check out
    SixFourteen Photography (he has raised his prices but I think he is still quite reasonable)
    McGowan (a little on the higher priced side)
    Stefanie Brazzle
    Karen Scruggs (I think she is very low-priced)

The other photographer I was torn between when I was choosing was Allison Davis.  I don't think she gets used much here, but my coordinator (and my photographer) really loves her and she is very talented.

Honestly, photography is one of those things I spared no expense on.  I didn't really even look at prices (I mean, I did, but) -- I looked at their work.  I wanted pictures that I absolutely loved to look at every day, as well as a photographer who I loved to be around.  I think a lot of people would consider Stefanie to be a lot of money, but I have zero regrets.  I say, if you want Stacy Reeves, you should first try to see if there's anything in your budget you can live without (like favors?) and see if you can afford her.
    Anniversary

• I really liked Jessica at Aravaggio, and she looks like she fits your budget. We ended up going with someone a little pricier, but I liked her stuff!
  • I am using Allison Davis and she seems to be within your price range. I really love her and her work. She is definitely worth looking into!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I used Karen Scruggs and loved her!  She wasn't super expensive and I still got great photos!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• I used Stephanie Brazzle, and LOVED her. Her prices have about doubled since I booked with her, which was when she was first starting, but IMO she's worth every penny.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Photography was really important to us, but our budget was also VERY important. I was more than happy with Brooke from MaddiePie Creations and she is around $2,000 and that is with engagement shots. She always has specials--so you might be able to negotiate the price with her. If you contact her (maddiepiecreations@yahoo.com) tell her Jennifer from Boston sent you.

She's an awesome person and I got so many compliments on both her and her photography.

Here are my photos: (the photos at the very end are not hers)
    http://photobucket.com/pugawedding
    password: texas2011

This all being said I think (as the other girls suggested) that you should definitely be able to find somebody less expensive that does great work. I think there are tons of people that are around the $3,500 mark.
  • Stephanie Brazzle!
  • I had a similar quandry.  My final two choices were an up and coming, prices still low yet I really liked her work photograher, and an established photographer whose pricing was reflective of her reputation and body of work.  I ended up going with the more experienced photographer and do not regret it.

I have seen brides use photographers on this board whose pricing has now doubled or tripled.  It is indeed a tricky situation to find that up and comer while their prices are low and lucky when you do.  But there are so many great Dallas photographers at every budget.  It just takes some time on your part to research them.

My advice is to at least find someone who has some weddings in their portfolio so you will be able to see how they capture a wedding from beginning to end.  Also meet personally with a few so you can see if their personality style matches yours, as you will be spending alot of time with them.  It will mean a time investment on your part but it will be well worth it in the end.
  • Photographers I love- Big Box Photography (doesn't get mentioned much here, but Caleb rocks!), Hampton Morrow (I loved professorscience's photos!), Life as Art, McGowans, Allison Davis, and I loved FebBride's wedding (Stephanie Brazzle). 
  • I fifth Stephanie Brazzle! She's who I'm using. We just did our e-pics and she was beyond wonderful to us. (Haven't gotten the pics back yet though.) My package was in your price-range and it included e-pics, bridals, AND 6 hours (day-of) plus a 2nd shooter. I believe her prices went up at the beginning of the year, but probably not enough to put her over your budget. :)

Also, I responded on your other post to your question about winechic's photog.
    Anniversary
  • Dorothy Gautreaux Photography, she is AMAZING!!!!
  • I'm using Mike Lewis.  He is fantastic.  We have previously used him for all kinds of events.  His packages start at around $1295.

http://www.mikelewisweddings.com/mlw4/
  • My advice would be to look at what it is that you really love about Stacy Reeves work and then hone in on that when you look at other photographers.

• You might like my photographer, Leslie Spurlock. I know she has raised her prices, but I think her packages start around 3K
  • You should see if Stacy Reeves has an Associate Photographer that works in her style, but has cheaper prices. Usually these are students who are interning and are usually the second photographer at her weddings and know her style.

A lot of high-end photographers have this.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_ahhhh-i-need-a-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:ee028968-2dcc-4cd2-b1e1-fd27605c7bcaPost:ca436a3d-628d-4c5d-b5ea-753d1c474a5c">Re: Ahhhh I need a photographer!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I fifth Stephanie Brazzle! She's who I'm using. We just did our e-pics and she was beyond wonderful to us. (Haven't gotten the pics back yet though.) My package was in your price-range and it included e-pics, bridals, AND 6 hours (day-of) plus a 2nd shooter. I believe her prices went up at the beginning of the year, but probably not enough to put her over your budget. :) Also, I responded on your other post to your question about winechic's photog.
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]

Update on Steph's pricing (I got a packet from her a few weeks ago, when I had lunch with her): basic packages start around $1650, which include 6 hours plus e-pics OR bridals...
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • I am getting married in Houston, but I used Jessica Schaack www.raeportraits.com for our engagement photos. She's relatively new to the Dallas area, but she was fantastic! Here's the link to our engagement shoot (http://www.raeportraits.com/?p=2195).She was super sweet, and VERY affordable.
    PersonalMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards