Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Catering Alternatives

I had found an awesome priced caterer, went to my tasting, all was good. But I have done some investigating and found some bad reviews and since the tasting dispite my several emails they have not contacted me back. I'm nervous now about hiring them and they were the only one within my budget. So I'm looking alternatives now that will keep within my budget.

I am purfectly fine with bbqing chicken, with rice or potatos, a salad, rolls, and fruit salad. Very simple meal some can be prepped or prepared the day before.

Is there anyone out there who has bought the food and hired a chef and assistant? Is there other ideas? I have plenty of time my wedding is not until next year. I have a family friend who is an awesome cook but that is a lot of guests and makes preparing food hard.

Re: Catering Alternatives

• Options

Do you have gourmet grocery stores near you? There are several in the Detroit area that also do catering. We did taste tests with 2, and both were really good. They generally don't charge as much as a standard caterer because catering is not their only source of profits, they also sell amazing food all the time to the store's customers.

I'd also recommend you ask on your local board (see "local wedding boards" to the left). Often the local boards have great ideas as well, and they will be in your area.

Good luck.

• Options
    thank you thats a good idea
  • Options
    I am kinda in the same boat as you, but my wedding is this November.  We have a caterer we really like and Fi wants to book them but even though they are the cheapest we've seen the price is still a little too high for us and would push us over our budget.  We went to a tasting and we loved the food (chicken was a little dry but that can be fixed).  

We're looking at other options.  Looking to just have someone cater the food and we provide our own servers, linens, plates, glasses, refreshments, etc... That is one option that could be cheaper and more budget friendly for our wallets.  

I had my hopes up when we went to see Fmil's cousin about catering our wedding.  Since she is family, and the food in her restaurant is cheap and good, we thought they would come through for us.  But after waiting 4 days for a quote from her, they came back with a quote so ridicuolus I just about pulled my hair out.  It was so high, it is funny to me now.  The think we're rich but that is no reason to quote me 2x more than any other caterer out there.  *holes!  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We are using a local bbq joint with a similar menu and it is very affordable.
  • Options
    Often restaurants will prep food for you.  It saves money on the serving fees (20% of the total around here), and if you have willing family and friends, they can pick up the food and serve it for you.  You can even combine this with a few things you make yourself (or your crew makes) or that you get at a Sam's/Costco type place (veggie trays, fruit salad, hummus or other dips with pita/crackers).

We are playing with our options for full-service catering vs. catered-but-served-ourselves (an option with the caterer we like the best), part-catered and part-do-it-ourselves, and these are some of the things we're considering.
  • Options
    It was difficult for me to accept this idea at first, but we are having a modified family potluck. That seems to  be the thing in small communities like ours. We are going to rent a big grill and provide fixin's for skewers of vegis, chicken, beef, shrimp and have designated family barbequers. Then, others are bringing sides to share. This is all the close family of course and is done out of love (not because we asked). It was tough at first for me to accept the idea of cheesey potatoes at my wedding, but then I realized the food is more for my guests than for me. Also, I've been amazed at some of the boring and unpalatable food that's served by caterers at weddings around here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards