Jewish Weddings

Where in the ceremony to sign our Ketubah?

We are having an interfaith (I'm Christian he is Jewish) ceremony officiated by both a Rabbi and a priest.  I know that it is traditional for the birde and groom to sign the Ketubah BEFORE the ceremony but we do not want to see each other until I walk down the aisle.  Because of this, we plan to sign the Ketubah during the ceremony. 

Currently we plan to sign the Ketubah during a "musical interlude" which will occur after the readings.  Does anyone have any experience with this and if so, where in your ceremony did you sign the Ketubah or have you seen it signed? 

Thanks!

Re: Where in the ceremony to sign our Ketubah?

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We signed ours during the ceremony.  We had a very small ceremony--only a dozen guests--and had everyone sign the ketubah as witnesses.  You can check out our ceremony at this link.
  • edited December 2011
    we're doing what you are doing. we are interfaith, also, and have always wanted that "first moment" to be on the aisle, too. 

we are signing it during the ceremony, too. just before the ring exchange. the rabbi will walk everyone through it, and then read it. 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We too are interfaith and don't want to see each other before the wedding, so we're doing what my parents did.  They signed seperately.  My dad signed with the Rabbi and has his best man witness and then the Rabbi went to my mom's room and had her sign with her maid of honor as her witness.  My parents are very conservative and did it this way, so I figured in our reform wedding, it could be done this way too!
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Technically the bride does not have to sign the ketubah- just the groom and the witnesses.

Food for Thought: Your fiance will be amazed at how you look regardless of the time he sees you, whether it is at a small room with some witnesses or walking down the aisle. And if he does see you beforehand, he is not going to stand at the end of teh aisle and look bored because he saw you already. The ketubah being signed before the ceremony is a tradition from the Middle Ages where they wanted to make sure you were legally married before doing the religious ceremony so that you would not waste your time or have people try and stop the marriage from occuring. It is said that the ketubah signing is the most important part of the whole wedding ceremony which is why it happens first.

But obviously it is your wedding so you will do what you want.
    September 2011 Siggy Challenge- Picture Of Your Engagement Ring
    From Wedding Website Slide Show
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Website
  • leoraannaleoraanna member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are signing ours before with our families.
    Nov 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    Photobucket
    image 282 Invited
    image 198 Making the Party!
    image 56 Staying at home :(
    image 28 Slow-pokes
    RSVP Date: November 5, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards