New Jersey - South
Options

Cake flavors..

Hello ladies,
Have you picked your cake AND what flavor did you choose?? 
We visited w/a bakery this past wkend.  We selected the style.  As for the flavor, my FI & I have different opinions.  I wanted something different; but he picked (for tasting) FI picked vanilla & choc buttercream. 
Is that too boring? OR  Is that the norm for the cake?  WHat  flavors did you choose? just curious.

Re: Cake flavors..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We wanted a huge cake, with a bunch of different layers so everyone could find a type they liked. 
    We ended up with a 5 tier cake, each tier had 3 layers of cake & 2 layers of filling:

Top & 3 - Almond poundcake, almond buttercream, and brushed ameretto
    2nd - Red velvet cake, canolli filling and french cream filling
    4th - chocolate cake, raspberry, and choc mousse
    5th - chiffon cake, french cream, and strawberries.

All layers were covered in fondant (pics in married bio)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just picked out our cake on Saturday.  It is 4 tiers, two are rasberry pound cake and two are chocalate chip pound cake.  Very yummy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We picked chocolate and vanilla .  Don't worry about being boring but something you and FI will eat and that everyone will enjoy and you can't go wrong with chocolate and vanilla! Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had 3 tiers.  One was vanilla, one was chocolate, one was pound.  All had buttercream filling & frosting.  Kind of boring, but it was still so good.
  • Options
    cmaygrlcmaygrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for your input!  I was/am actually thinking of calling the bakery & changing at least 1 layer of the cake from a "white" layer to at least "yellow" or "marble" for a little variety.  Yes, he picked a "white" cake for ALL 3 layers!  I need to change something!! hhmm... maybe I AM turning into a "Bridezilla"! lol  
    We pick up our little "sample" cakes on dec 12th.
    I have appts w/2 other bakeries... should I just cancel them and stick to 1 bakery?  How many did you guys look at???  I am NOT a bridezilla, am I??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No, you are not a bridezilla-you just want everything to be nice, as do we all!Laughing If you are not crazy about the one bakery then there is no harm in checking out others.  I myself didn't look at any but that is only b/c my reception place includes the cake.  However, with other vendors I did look around until I found the right ones. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    cmaygrlcmaygrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks njgal26 for reassurance of me NOT being a bridezilla. LOL :) 
    I do wish our venue included the cake!! 
    Anywho, I'm going to have a little talk w/FI tonight & tell him my thoughts about flavors, and that I am thinking of calling the bakery to "slightly" change the sample order,. we'll go from there. :)
  • Options
    zanyjaymezanyjayme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake had 3 layers but each layer had 3 different flavors. We kept the all the layers the same and one slice of cake had a layer of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, Neapolitan cake!. So normal flavors but a little different.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had marble pound with a filling of chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries(in season in May) covered in buttercream.  Also, noticed you're getting married on our anniversary.

Lisa Beth
  • Options
    cmaygrlcmaygrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your input!!!  I placed a call to the bakery.  I will be ordering (for our samples) 1 white cake, 1 pound cake, 1 w/vanila buttercream, 1 w/mocha.  How does that sound??   oh soo hummy?? LOL
    I will let you know after the tasting (december 12) how everything tasted!!
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!! Be safe out there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards