Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Self Catered help!

Hey ladies! So my fiance and I are beginning our wedding planning, and we're thinking of self catering it. Both of our families have absolutely phenomenal chefs, including ourselves. There would be NO problem making the food, since we can do it in my restaurant and bring it to the venue, but who will serve the food?! I would love to hor d'oeuvres served during a cocktail hour, but I can't ask any family members to do so! What should I do? Everyone that I would like to do it is invited to the wedding! Thanks for your help!

Re: Self Catered help!

• if you are a chef you should have connections to hire some people to serve the food.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_self-catered-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:93c17e9c-5a68-436c-b760-f3db6e5befafPost:622e5cb0-05ee-4233-a2f8-5eb5d3e37e33">Re: Self Catered help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]if you are a chef you should have connections to hire some people to serve the food.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I do, but I'm inviting almost all of them to the wedding.</div>
  • Are there any culinary schools or community colleges / universities that have hospitality programs in your area?  You could probably hire some students to serve. 

And perhaps your connections have connections?  People they work with and would recommend but who wouldn't be on your guest list?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_self-catered-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:93c17e9c-5a68-436c-b760-f3db6e5befafPost:18e0ea09-8d9d-4e01-afb1-0d1a109f3361">Re: Self Catered help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are there any culinary schools or community colleges / universities that have hospitality programs in your area?  You could probably hire some students to serve.  And perhaps your connections have connections?  People they work with and would recommend but who wouldn't be on your guest list?
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks a bunch! I never thought about the colleges! That's a great indea! Thanks again! 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_self-catered-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:93c17e9c-5a68-436c-b760-f3db6e5befafPost:34ee3c91-c0eb-4dd4-86b7-51568e44aeff">Re: Self Catered help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Self Catered help! : I do, but I'm inviting almost all of them to the wedding.
    Posted by lconley1120[/QUOTE]

You must have connections at other bars and restaurants of people you are not inviting to the wedding.   Ask your wait staff friends if they have server friends who might be interested in making a few bucks on the side.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards