Military Brides

Personal Security/Information

I wanted to start a new thread because I think its important, especially working in Law Enforcement.

Who here has googled themselves? Use your first and last name and see what you get. You may be surprised. :) or scared.

Some of the stuff you can't help, for instance my dad's obituary shows up that shows basically my entire family history. Other stuff you can prevent. (ie Facebook, for gosh sakes MYSPACE)

I'd also like to make this PSA: please don't share anything with friends of friends. I can't tell you how many cases I work on a week that involve people taking information, pictures, whatever off facebook. Not to mention employers and law enforcement have access to that information. You may love your friends but you have no idea if they have a crazy uncle, cousin, crack head neighbor they felt guilty not be friending...

::steps off soapbox::

Re: Personal Security/Information

• KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THANK YOU :] 

Are you a Police Officer?
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    Kendall YGPM
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    back at you
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's scary stuff.  Luckily there's someone with my same name who is famous for something ridiculous (I won't say because it would become even more likely you could find out my full name)  so that person completely dominates any search for my name.  I never heard of this person until I started googling myself, but it's pretty funny!

There are a few websites like Spoke.com that gather personal information from the internet and supply it.  It's really annoying to try to get your 'profile' taken down (even if you've never signed up or heard of it, they likely have information on you, some erroneous - they thought FI was 78 years old, but they had one of his previous real addresses, so spooky!).

You can hire people to clean up your internet security.  It's expensive, but they go through and find any identifying information and somehow fix it.  Not sure how.

Anniversary

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, apparently there is a motocross rider with my same name (married name), so when I google my name everything that pops up is for her.  The only things that were me in the first two pages were my goodreads page, and the small amount of our wedding pics posted by our photographer. 

My maiden name apparently is a lawyer in D.C., so she dominated the results.  However it was really weird to see my maiden name written out again.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The reason why google scares me is because that is public and free information.
    Just think what an investigator could get.  
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nothing really comes up for me except our registry info from weddingchannel. For H a lot of what comes up are his athletic stats from high school for running. Our FB are private, friends only can view them.
  • edited December 2011
    Nothing about me came up.  Haa!  My maiden name is some really successful business woman and my married name is some teenage girl that wears her hats sideways and has twitter.  Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    Umm.. When I google myself Nick Jonas comes up...Undecided
    Photobucket
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is too funny Sami!
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah.. and our names are nothing alike..
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_personal-securityinformation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:2a1d7f7b-1885-4358-b967-2f44b823ece3Post:eabedf04-7e10-413a-8893-b0a4bc19dac2">Re: Personal Security/Information</a>:
    [QUOTE]Umm.. When I google myself <strong>Nick Jonas</strong> comes up...
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

At least is not Justin Beiber!!! HAAAA that is really funnY!
  • edited December 2011
    I was talking to a co-worker about this just now, and she told me about a site called pipl.com... oh man it found way more info about myself than google ever did! Super sketchy, that Spoke.com site came up with my name there as well. It found a ton of stuff that you would never think would be out there! :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Be careful with Facebook settings.  I thought I had great settings, but anything marked "Friends of Friends" is very vulnerable.  I thought setting my profile to be friends only would work, but it doesn't if you have any albums marked "Friends of Friends".  I did that for a few to allow people who were tagged in it to have their friends and family see their pictures (like OCS graduation) but what it did was allow anyone who was friends of one of my friends to see those pictures, which I think is how that crazy person found out my FI's name and then proceeded to stalk him.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_personal-securityinformation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2a1d7f7b-1885-4358-b967-2f44b823ece3Post:f2996ca9-354e-4e6e-a941-ec17253d9c92">Re: Personal Security/Information</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was talking to a co-worker about this just now, and she told me about a site called pipl.com... oh man it found way more info about myself than google ever did! Super sketchy, that Spoke.com site came up with my name there as well. It found a ton of stuff that you would never think would be out there! :(
    Posted by anaeweir[/QUOTE]

<div>I just looked on that site for my and FI, mine isn't all that accurate (yay) but FI's has so much stuff listed but a lot of it is his parents, wierd. Creepy. </div><div>I have a super generic last name and when I google myself I've got to go to page 10 or so before some of my newspaper articles that were written about my swimming show up. </div><div>I've been contemplating deleting FB recently, I think I should. I just haven't yet since it's such an easy way of communication with Fi while he's over in sandland. </div>
    She's always wanted to be a princess and he's always wanted to be a hero; as fate would now have it, she is his princess and he is her hero *Semper Fi* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Luckily when I google mine it's just a bunch of random people. It's also scary to think who gives your phone number out without asking. I had harassing phone calls every 2 hours for 4 days straight all from a blocked number threatening me. We went to the police and Verizon but they couldn't get the number and they eventually stopped
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately with mine, because of my job, I come up as a therapist in the areas I used to work in. Although the one website made me a doctor, I wish I got paid the doctor's salary haha :)
  • edited December 2011
    I think Nick Jonas and I win!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards