Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Groom's Cake

I'm curious, did any of you ladies do/are you doing a Groom's Cake?  Did your Groom pick it, or was it a surprise?  What did it look like?
127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Groom's Cake

• I'm going to do a groom's cake for my fiance as a surprise at the rehearsal dinner :) He loves football and video games, so I'm picturing a Packer's helmet sitting on top of a video game console for the cake :)
  • I had thought about it, since fi loves surprises, and I always think grooms cakes are fun. But I decided to have surprise chocolate covered strawberries for him instead. I've seen a few, always surprises, and usually either Packers or Badgers, since I'm in Wisconsin! I did see an armadillo once, and once a helmet shaped cake that was Packers on one side and Bears on the other. Oh, and once one that was shaped like a cooler with jello ice and real beer inside. Yep, football and beer, that's what we do here!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks!  I'm thinking I might go the different dessert route - chocolate covered strawberries or truffles or something. 
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • At my sister's wedding she had her hubby's fave cookies (gingerbread) decorated like churches, hearts, rings, crosses, etc. I think anything works if your fi likes it!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I really want to do one, but I've been pretty slack in getting the concept and design to my cake maker. It will be a surprise to my groom. The cake is going to be an xbox. :-)
  • reppunzelreppunzel member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    My experience / the tradition I've seen re: a groom's cake is having it at the reception, usually as a flavor alternative (like chocolate)  to the bride's cake.  Sometimes it's a unique design (football or camping themed, etc.) sometimes it's a standard "cake" presentation, even tiered. I haven't heard of it being a surprise, but that's a neat idea.

I made this cake:

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

for FI for the Valentine dinner I cooked for him (which wound up being a few days after the 14th, since he insisted on taking me out to eat on V-Day ... I didn't understand why until the ring appeared before the coffee :D ).  He luuuuuved it and we're planning it for our groom's cake.  He's actually offered to make it ... and I'll likely take him up on that! Smile (he's got the skills and our guest list is small enough--and the cake is rich enough--that one sheet cake will be enough)
  • DH had a grooms cake and he picked it.  We served it at the reception (wedding cake was while almond and the groom's cake was pumpkin spice).  Aside from being a nice flavor alternative, I wanted all of our guests to see it and not just the people at the rehearsal dinner.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • We actually got in a fight about the grooms cake. Its the only thing he wanted a say on....except I felt that having a cake that tasted like a child's candy (peanut butter and chocolate) was not appropriate for a very formal wedding. Eventually he won, which he prob should have in the first place. I let him choose what he wanted for his "saints" football themed cake and he actually chose something very tasteful and artistic and not "manly" like most of the examples I showed him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having a groom's cake, and while I have heard of it being a surprise, FI said from the get-go he wanted a retro film clapper (he works in movies). We are serving it at the reception.
    So that's what we're doing!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_grooms-cake-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:9218396c-04a5-47db-abbd-2eaeba401b08Post:d4a1cbf2-2e2f-4fad-8a0c-1d7f5bde2318">Re: Groom's Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]My experience / the tradition I've seen re: a groom's cake is having it at the reception, usually as a flavor alternative (like chocolate)  to the bride's cake.  Sometimes it's a unique design (football or camping themed, etc.) sometimes it's a standard "cake" presentation, even tiered. I haven't heard of it being a surprise, but that's a neat idea. I made this cake: <a href="http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/" rel="nofollow">http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/</a>  for FI for the Valentine dinner I cooked for him (which wound up being a few days after the 14th, since he insisted on taking me out to eat on V-Day ... I didn't understand why until the ring appeared before the coffee :D ).  He luuuuuved it and we're planning it for our groom's cake.  He's actually offered to make it ... and I'll likely take him up on that! (he's got the skills and our guest list is small enough--and the cake is rich enough--that one sheet cake will be enough)
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

Thank you thats a good idea because we might do cup cakes to save money and my FI doesnt like cake, but we both love peanut butter and chocolate... are favorite candy is reese's....
  • I don't think Groom's cakes are very traditional in my area - I've not been to a wedding where I've ever seen one (unless it was consumed at the rehearsal), but I decided to do one for FI as a surprise.

I ordered a Rubik's Cube cake for the groom's cake. I haven't decided on the flavor yet - We're going to get the last samples for our other premium flavor tastings eventually. We're probably going to do traditional flavors for the wedding cake, so I'll probably pick his favorite premium flavor for the Grooms cake.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A few years ago my fiance told me he wanted a death star (from Star Wars) wedding cake.. So I am hoping he forgot and plan on surprising him with it as the grooms cake. If he didn't forget then he will still be excited he got his way. 
    255313_3528328290997_1532703995_n
    We say, "I do" on July 12, 2014.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
  • Our's is going to be a suprise and look like this: 
  • I surprised my husband with a groom's cake at our rehearsal dinner and he still talks about how happy he was when he saw it.

The bakery made him a sheet cake with Bart Simpson decked out in Phillies paraphernalia and it looked great!  The cake flavor was vanilla with strawberry filling and that's also one of his favorites.

Side note: Our wedding was game 3 of the World Series (which the Phils won) so it was extra special.
  • Go Pack Go! Had to say that because of all of the Packer fans on here! My FH is from Milwaukee and had never heard of a grooms cake before I asked him what he thought he might want it to look like. We're going to have a complete 3D replica of Lambeau Field as the grooms cake. I think it's one of the details I'm looking forward to the most, besides saying I do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards