Catholic Weddings
Options

Ceremony Music

Do you girls know the rules of music during a full Catholic mass?  What can and can't be played?  I'm going to call the church and get some ideas but thought I'd get some ideas first.  We are going to have a really fun guy play during the ceremony and I don't want him to start any trouble during the mass because the music isn't right!

Re: Ceremony Music

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Talk to your church.  Each diocese and parish tends to have its own set of rules.  In general, the music should be religious in nature and appropriate for the occassion and settings.  Usually it has to be live music played, not recordings.

Some churches will let you use Wagner's Bridal Chorus (Here comes the bride...), while others will not.  It really depends on the pastor.  Talk to the priest or music director at your church.  They should be very helpful in offering guidelines and suggestions.

Is there a a particular song/style you were looking to have played?
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding music rules differ so widely from church to church that you'd be better off talking to your priest and/or music director. Usually churches will permit only sacred music, no secular music... but even interpretation of this varies. Before you book any musicians, have the musicians and all of the music selections approved by your church.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's. We were not allowed to have secular music played at our wedding. We were not even allowed to have the Wedding March due to its secular origins. Definitely talk to your priest, deacon or parish music director before getting your heart set on certain selections or booking a musician.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what type of music we even want to play because I don't have any ideas of where to start.  I'll probably call the church this week.  We originally had the organist that was previously at my church booked to do it but she just cancelled on me and it's next month and the guy we have playing now doesn't normally play in Catholic churches.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd suggest that you call a meeting between your church's music director or priest, the musician, and yourself. Your musician can suggest stuff from his repertoire, and the priest or music director can give you the OK or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I met with the music director from the church, which was very useful even though we decided to go with someone else.  As far as songs go, I think that as long as you pick something from the hymnal/missal that you'll be okay.  We're having Morning is Broken sung at the end, which is a nice middle of the road hymn because it's also popular in the secular world and will be recognizable to all of our guests.  Also, meeting with the music director will help to generate ideas (don't worry)...They've done lots of weddings, so they'll have plenty of suggestions Smile  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards