Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Asking for your hand...

I am just curious as to whos FI "asked" or talked to your father before asking you to marry him.

My DH asked my dad about a month before he proposed to me, and my dad was very happy that he did this. (my dad is very traditional).

My sister (so happy for her) has just gotten engaged about a month ago and her FI did not talk to my dad about this and he was hurt by this. (but he will get over it).
The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Asking for your hand...

• Options
    I can understand where some women come from, being offended that someone "asked" for their hand.  However, I thought it was really sweet and courteous that my FI asked for my parents' blessing.  I'm close to my parents, and they liked FI anyway, so it's not like they were going to say no.  But, for us, it was something that he could do to include my parents, and it showed them respect by demonstrating that we WANTED their blessing.
    To be perfectly clear though, if they had said no, I would have been heartbroken, but FI and I would still have gotten engaged.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards