Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Drama....long, :( sorry!!!

Ok, so my wedding is on July 14th. There is another wedding at our church that day (not til the evening though, ours is at 10:30, theirs is at 4...) so we are letting the other couple take their rehearsal on that Friday (the 13th) and we were doing it on thursday and just going over the standing and walking orders on friday at our rehearsal dinner.... We (my FI and I) decided that friday we would have our rehearsal dinner at his parents house because since our rehearsal is at 7, and I work an hour and a half away, it would be better for US.... 

In April: MIL doesn't like that idea, because it interferes with both her daughters' lives....(Now, usually my MIL baby's FI, but for some reason, things switched....I think she's a llittle mad he's getting married...She originally told me she thought he was never going to get married....um he's only 24, lady!)  both daughters are married and live an hour away, one is a teacher, her school will be done for the summer by then, and the other is a nurse, who is already taking off both that thursday and friday...) 

She said she doesn't want them to have to drive down twice, (originally the issue was my nephew, because apparently we all have to live by HIS schedule!!!! I don't want to sound like a B*tch, but FI's older sister is a momzilla....different story, not enough time in the world...) so she originally asked us to switch the rehearsal date, we told her we couldn't....She didn't like that so much, but she kept her mouth shut for the most part...

Fastforward to now: MIL met with my MOM yesterday to try to get my mom to side with her....WE HAD ALREADY MADE THE PLANS!!! my mom came home and got on the defensive wirh me (as she has been whenever wedding talk happens, you'd swear it was her wedding! another story, not enough time)  and thought MIL's idea was a great one,  I said "No, we already decided what we're doing. our original plans are better for us, that's what we decided."

Now, we are at a stalemate, but I've been given the guilt trip if I don't do things her way, but my way will be better for FI and I,  because I didn't ask for off on that thursday (I get off at 5...), and making the dinner on thursday night would be too much on US, FI is working the day before the wedding, and once again, I work an hour and a half away! A late night wouldn't be good for him, and leaving early at my job is just not going to happen!
The Jist of this all: My MIL is a mother hen, and I am incredibly stubborn.....Wink. What do I do? I would appreciate no text book-susie homemaker comments that sound like they came out of a book in the 50's.....

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Drama....long, :( sorry!!!

• Options
    The rehearsal and RD should be on the same night, if you expect the wedding party to participate. Since the dinner is meant to be a thank you to those who showed up for rehearsal, it should be convenient for them.

Could you have the rehearsal the weekend before the wedding? You could have an afternoon RD and early dinner. It might be easier for everyone, including you, if the travelling is broken up a bit. And since you are having a morning wedding, it might be nice to have a quiet evening the night before.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards