Attire & Accessories Forum

Buying a sample gown?

I fell in love with a Maggie Sottero gown, Marion, but the bridal salon I purchased it from called me today telling me the dress won't come in in time for my October wedding. They suggested I buy their sample off the floor because it is my size. However, they told me the price is the same. I am confused. Shouldn't a sample that has been tried on be less than a brand new gown. Should I settle for this used dress? Should I bother asking them to discount the sample, find the dress elsewhere? Or is this normal? Thanks!

Re: Buying a sample gown?

• I find this a little unusual but let's see what other people say.

I bought a sample from a small boutique. The sample was a very small size so small few people could get into it. They sold it to me for half of the current sale price on that dress, plus i won 500 off a dress in their store. They are also cleaning it and checking/fixing any deffects they find in the dress since it was a sample, they sell their samples off 2-3 times a year at this store. So I think typically samples are sold onsale. Your situation might be different though because they are not currently selling that sample right now except perhaps in your circumstance? It just seems a littl odd to me.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I don't feel like that's normal... I bought a sample gown and it was more than half off the ticket price. 
    Maggie Sottero tends to play by their own rules, but that seems a little odd that you wouldn't get any sort of discount for a USED gown... I would ask to speak to a manager about it.
  • That's not ok. I bought a sample dress and it was 50% off plus they were fixing a few beads that were a bit loose. 
    Anniversary
  • I almost bought a sample gown. Original price was $1400.00 and they offered it to me for $750.    You should never pay full price for a sample.
  • josgirljosgirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    The sample dress should be less. When I was trying on dresses at multiple boutiques they offered the sample dress for 200-1000 off. I'm surprised she's not going to offer you a discount. I was with my mom when I nearly bought a sample dress . I didn't notice any "wear-and-tear" but my mom actually pointed out that some of the rosette details were drooping from being hung on a hanger for so long. They were also a teeny bit discolord from being tried on These slight changes overtime are why the dress should be discounted!
  • Thank you all so much. I will definitely ask to speak to a manager! I thought it seemed wrong, but I didn't want to make a big deal over something I know nothing about. You all have been so helpful.
  • meganb1977meganb1977 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    My gown was a sample originally priced at $350 and I paid $99 before a 10% discount for having an appointment.  It was "as is" though, I had to pay for cleaning and alterations.  Even with the money I spent on those things I still thought it was a bargain!  Even my husband knew well enough to say "#@%* no!" to the idea of paying full price for a sample!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • I went back to the store. When I asked about the price they said the sales associate couldn't give me a discount, only a manager, and that is why she told me full price. The manager said she could give me a 10 discount and dry cleaning and fix some of the beading. This discount sounds really low compared to what I read in the other posts. Are these people trying to rip me off?
  • JoeAnne2013JoeAnne2013 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I would not buy an sample gown at full price.

When trying on wedding gowns I noticed a lot of the samples were dirty and had flaws (pulls, missing beads, etc.) and that was at an very upscale salon so I couldn't even begin to imagine that other salons don't have the same problem.

10% off of a sample gown does not seem like enough. I had a larger discount (20%) on my brand new gown just because I hit an random, unexpected holiday sale by chance. I say call other salons and see what they can offer you.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards