May 2012 Weddings

(NWR) Warning: a gross and awkward conversation will probably result from this post

So maybe I am alone here - but is anyone else astounded at the amount of what I call "pee splash" that happens when guys pee?  H and I have been living together for 2 years now so it isn't a new thing per se, but I'm kind of at an end point of how to deal with it.

I don't think it's "missed aim" or anything, it's just the splatter that happens when the stream hits the water onto the back of the toilet lids, and god knows elsewhere.  

Awhile ago H suggested getting one of those rugs that goes around the toilet randomly.  I asked why, and he said for "pee splash".  I was horrified and H assured me that it happens with all guys.  Prior to that, I had no idea.

All I know is, when I lived alone I'd only need to clean my toilet when the dust started to become apparent.  And when I cleaned it, there was really nothing but dust to clean.  Now I clean the toilet and I'm like "holy hell, how does this happen?" and then it's like it needs to be cleaned again 3 days later.

H is semi tall (around 6") and our toilets aren't super short.  I've seen taller, but I'd say they are average.

Does anyone else have this problem, or am I alone here?  What can I do besides clean the damn things all the time or get taller toilets?

Sorry, random thought I was having this morning while scrubbing a toilet before work because I just couldn't stand it....
photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: (NWR) Warning: a gross and awkward conversation will probably result from this post

• Yes Pee splash is a common problem....in my house to solve it. FI now has his own bathroom. I don't use his or clean it. Between the pee splash, and toilet seat up I couldn't take it so he was banished.

• I wouldnt get a rug to put around the toilet. We had them and my brother in law begged me to get rid of it. He had taken a health and safety course and learned all about the crazy germ/bacteria etc breeding ground they are. LIkely from things like pee.
    My husband doesnt seem to have bad backsplash. But my dad did. I used to have to check the seat before I sat down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know why, but this made me giggle a little. But I am sorry for the frustration. I actually don't seem to have this problem. BUT, when I had a male room mate a number of years ago, he had this problem. I think it's because a) he was an idiot b) he didn't care and was an idiot and c) he was tall (6'). DH is like 5'7, so he is a little closer to the toilet.

I would be horrified too if DH suggested one of those rugs because a)they are wicked ugly and out of date b) that's disgusting. You would have all that bacteria and gross stuff living in the carpet. I'm not sure if I have any solutions other than he needs to learn to clean up after himself and mayeb aim for the center of the water and not the back of the bowl.

• Yeah the rug kinda grosses me out a little! A bathroom floor feels like it would be nice and easy to wipe clean. A rug? Ick. I'd be tempted to throw it in the washing machine every night to get all the day's splash off!! Leaving it sitting there makes it seem like a pee-collector.
  • HAHA! i totally have this problem... and, not only does H do it, but my 5 yr old son is now quickly learning the trait..... so, my 5 yr old has his own bathroom... i rarely go in there, but to start his bath or shower (H does it most of the time) so i try to ignore it!! it is SOOOOOO gross.... I usually clean our toilets about every two weeks.... about that amount of time is when ours starts getting noticeable, so i figure i better do my son's as well, because, after all, he is a kiddo, and they aren't the most tidy creatures in the world... so to give you a solution, sorry, i don't think there is one to completely eliminate the problem. guys will be guys.... unfortunately, i think you'll just have to glove up and clean girlie!  i mean, you can ask H to try a little harder, but some guys just have backsplash. i have just come to terms with it, and will continue to clean clean clean! good luck!
  • H has that problem. I guess my dad and brother didn't but when I clean our toilet, I am sooo grossed out! Like, seriously, if I cleaned it YESTERDAY, it should not be covered in pee! What the heck. I have asked him repeatedly to wipe it down when he is done but even I realize that you can't always tell until it dries. Yuck.
  • So H doesn't have this problem but one similar! First off I don't think there is any kind of solution other than cleaning it. H has a problem with it dripping on the floor when he's "shaking" after he gets done. It annoys me because then I go in there espically in the mornings and there's stuffo n the floor which I then immediately have to clean up because I don't want to step in it.

I have mentioned this to him several times and he trys to "clean it up" but I still find it sometimes. I agree with the other ladies no rugs around the toilet. It is very outdated but it also would just hold germs in.

• You are not alone! I noticed it before we lived together...I would always tell him that I never had any of that before I met him. I guess my brother doesn't do this because I'd never seen that happen before! Now that we live together I notice how fast it builds up! It really disgusts me. I think I may have him help with toilet cleaning and I clean the rest of the bathroom because I don't think I can handle it!
    Photobucket
  • Don't seem to have too much issue with this...(at least not that I notice) until I go to clean the toilets....I guess H is actually really good about putting the seat down so not until I pick up the seat do I go Holy Cow theres a lot of caked on pee on the toilet rim. At least by that point im already cleaning so although gross, not a huge deal.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

My Blog:Through My Eyes

• *Making a mental note to pay more attention to the toilets*
    Anniversary
  • This made me laugh (and thank you cause I needed to laugh).

I have the same problem, only he shares the responsibility in cleaning the toilet.  We have a rug, and I throw it in the laundry with bleach every weekend, so it doesn’t grow germs (gross!). 

This is probably one of those things you can’t do much about.  When you see it, just think of something you really like about your hubby to balance it out.  Lol

• Hahahaha...I feel like I am dying from laughter over here. H doesn't have this pee splash problem, but the bathroom is so much more gross now that we live together. He sheds like crazy and the toilets and sinks are so gross.

We were talking the other day about all the things we didn't know about each other until we got married that sorta annoy us.

Me:
    He leaves his pajamas and clothes wherever he removes them.
    He doesn't close his dresser drawers.
    If he does put his clothes in the hamper (big if) most of the time they are hanging out or around the edges.

Him:
    I like to sit with him and have him focus on me and whatever we are watching...not his computer.
    I'm a facebook/theknot/thenest stalker.

It was such a funny conversation.

Hahaha--oh married life.
    newimagesize Anniversary Vacation
  • I also havent encountered this issue although the leaving the lid up business has been pissing me off since day 1 with my DH.
    He tends to aim not directly in to the water but to the back part of the toilet and he doesnt get any splash because he also leans forward a bit. LOL
    I know because im usually doing my makeup when he decides he has to pee.
    Lucky me.
  • I so have this problem too!

T and I have been living togeather for 4 years I have been dealing with it since then. I also cleaned the bathrooms at my parents house and My dad never had this issue. It makes me crazy. A rug would be gross and cause your bathroom to smell like the pee that is on the rug. I just clean the bathroom everyday. ( I also have a toddler and even though she is a girl it can be messy.) If it is ever really bad I force T to clean it himself. 
  • This is exactly why my husband volunteers to clean the bathrooms. He knows how gross it is and since he's the one splashing, he has no problem doing the cleaning. Plus it helps that he's a bigger clean-freak than me, so I never even have to remind him to clean the bathrooms. He always get to them before I even notice they're dirty :D
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, I grew up with my dad & my brother - both very short compared to my H.  I think it's just the height thing, it's not like it's ALL over or he is missing or anything, I just think the stream is coming from a bigger height so it's splashing more.

The thing that gets me is that everything looks fine - usually H puts the seat down, so it's only on the odd occasion that he leaves it up or I just happen to go in to clean that I'm like WTH???

Looks like I will be cleaning the bathrooms more often =\   Glad to know I'm not alone in this issue!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
  • Yes, this is very common in my household as well. I grew up with a brother who often peed on the seat and I would sit on the wet seat in the dark or step in his puddle from missing in the dark. It's gross. Guys are gross from the pee splash to hair from shaving in the sink. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Since it's H's pee, how about having him clean it up OP? It's not like toilet cleaning has to be a wifely duty...
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • LMAO That is too funny.... we as every body else have the same problem. My H is 6ft, he has a habit of leaning against the wall behind the toilet so he can get a little closer. LOL

I have to say, my Mom had the right idea. When my Dad was alive, she had enough of the splash herself, she made him SIT! ROFL!!!
    Anniversary
  • LMAO H doesn't splash that I know of, he just misses at the beginning and end.  I told him he needed to wipe it up each time if he's gonna miss!  Sometimes he actually does...but most the time he doesn't care!  Also the toilet smells really gross if I don't clean now!!  H totally had one of those rugs as his house and when he moved out and I picked it up to pack it and saw all the pee stains I was so disgusted I threw it out and told him we will never own one!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My H sits so he doesn't splash:P first time I saw it on our honeymoon, i was like WHAT?! and he was like "so I don't splash! it's a pain to clean up"... now I appreciate it and don't make fun of him:P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never really though of this before...but after reading it I felt compelled to do a thorough house clearning today. I spend more time on the bathroom than I ever have before. Ick!
  • I don't really have that problem either because H sits as he pees! I always make fun of him for not standing up like a man, but he lists these reasons for sitting:

1) No pee splash.
    2) More comfortable.
    3) You can read something (whatever).
    4) No need to wash your hands because you haven't touched anything.
    5) No need for hand-eye coordination- difficult when tired.

Fair enough.
    May 2012 Nesties March Siggy Challenge: Furbabies imageimageAnniversary
  • I have the same issue! I clean the toilet all the freakin time! Not to mention it gets all over the floor around the toilet...my biggest peeve! I don't mind the seat being left up so much, since he has gotten pretty good about that, but this one thing that I feel he can control, which he assures me he can't...*sigh* oh well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards