Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

fish centerpieces

So a friend of mine suggested that we have glass bowls with fish in them for our centerpieces.  I think that it is a really cool idea, but am a little unsure about it.  I want my bridesmaids dresses to be blue, so I was thinking that the beta fish would go good with that color.   Any suggestions?

Re: fish centerpieces

• Options
    edited December 2011
    PLEASE don't do this.

There are SO MANY other centerpiece options, that wouldn't be harmful to fish.

Also, do you want to run the risk of having dead fish floating at every table??  Not very appetizing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree...please don't do this!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister did gold fish bowls for their centerpieces.  My BIL is an avid fisherman so this tied in well.   The fish were fine, but some things that make it complicated
    - gotta get fish either the night before or day of bc they're tempermental
    - gotta have the water just right. some bowls had the water too cold or too warm and it shocked the fish dead
    - buy plenty of extras incase they do die along the way (that sounds horrible)

If you're particular about the vases, they can be $$ if you're looking to keep costs low.

best wishes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I strongly suggest you do not do this. For more reasons and opinions, go to the "Reception Ideas" board and type in "fish centerpieces" in the searchbar. You will find lots of women who also agree that this is a very poor decision for a centerpiece.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fish-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f2b4e7c4-b90d-47fb-9448-fe470191aed1Post:673fe916-d6db-4428-a079-c8cacd7a5208">Re: fish centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]PLEASE don't do this. There are SO MANY other centerpiece options, that wouldn't be harmful to fish. Also, do you want to run the risk of having dead fish floating at every table??  Not very appetizing.
    Posted by MikeNAndi[/QUOTE]

This. First of all, it's gross because most of the fish will probably not last through the night because of the less-then-idea envoironment they will be in and then you have fish carcass floating in a bowl for your centerpiece. Secondly, what are you going to do with them afterward? Everyone always says "oh, our guests will just take them home" but trust me, your guests will not take all of them home. And they you're flushing a ton of fish down the toilet just so you could have a not so awesome in the first place centerpiece.

Plus, fish just freak me out so I have that bias as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is why we thought about doing the fish, because FI loves to fish.  It sounds like a cool idea, but there are a lot of negative aspects to it as well. Thanks for your thougths.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    <p>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fish-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f2b4e7c4-b90d-47fb-9448-fe470191aed1Post:ee21d9f4-cb04-41bf-aae2-2ee5e516823d">Re: fish centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is why we thought about doing the fish, because FI loves to fish.  It sounds like a cool idea, but there are a lot of negative aspects to it as well. Thanks for your thougths.
    Posted by ktanne44[/QUOTE]

I get that, as FI & I are avid outdoors people - Hunting, fishing...what have you.  There are other ways to pull that in though, & I feel we did a great job at that!  = )

An idea that you might want to think of is having fish cookie favors.  Our friends that got married a few years ago did that, as the groom was WAY into fishing.  It was really cute, & everyone knew that it reflected on the groom.</p>
    <p>I wasn't trying to sound harsh above, if it came off that way, but it's just so not a good idea!</p>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, that is very harmful to them, and there are a lot of other ideas that are great and don't harm animals.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The fish cookie idea is Great!! I love it.. i would like to do some sort of floating flowers and/or candles.  I  am looking for something simple and not expensive for our centerpieces.  Sorry if I offened anyone on the fish idea, I will not be harming any animals :)
  • Options
    aabrahams7aabrahams7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about vases filled with various fishing tackle to add a little color?? There are many ways to incorporate fishing into a wedding. Or a fishing cake topper?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another possible alternative (caveat- I don't know if these actually exist) but what about fake fish? you may be able to get some really colorful fake fish that will float in the water
    Henry
    imageHenry Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think that the idea of fish in a bowl is horrible... but some other ideas you could do are....

using the same type of bowl (usually inexpensive and get them from the dollar store) fill them with water and use rocks in the bottom with a couple flowers/candles floating in them...

I really like what aabrahams suggested in using tackle in the bottom of the bowl then adding a flower or candle - it's a way to incorporate the "fishing" theme then having a fish shaped cookie or sweedish (sp?!) fish as favors!
  • Options
    colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the others that you should skip this idea. So many things could go wrong, like you would not want a floating fish at the top of the bowl if it dies. Also some people really don't like fish at all and it could be uncomfortable for them to eat dinner while watching this little fish swimming around in front of them.

I would look into other ideas. Maybe ask the DIY board for advice on blue centerpeices.
  • Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents used my childhood goldfish as a centerpiece with floating candles etc for a dinner once but the candles hugged the rim of the bowl, heated the glass, and it cracked and leaked water all over the table.  Bad idea.  Go for something different.
  • Options
    AETS26AETS26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with everyone else - don't do it. Guests will not want to take them home, and you'll be stuck with all these fish after the wedding. And what a lot of work to set that all up! Plus, don't know if you were ever thinking multiple fish per bowl, but beta fish eat each other... how awful would that be!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Crate and Barrel sells packages of these cute little glass fish that could be used as part of the centerpiece design.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_fish-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:f2b4e7c4-b90d-47fb-9448-fe470191aed1Post:e1346358-39d2-40b4-ab5a-8b912836ba20">Re: fish centerpieces</a>:
    [QUOTE]Crate and Barrel sells packages of these cute little glass fish that could be used as part of the centerpiece design. <a href="http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/home-accents/glass-fishies/s580310" rel='nofollow'>http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/home-accents/glass-fishies/s580310</a>
    Posted by sweetbeck3[/QUOTE]

OOOO those are cute! Good find!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are doing betta fish they live fine in bowls as they live in puddles in the wild, they are also much hardier than gold fish, i am using them for my wedding next summer and no one can talk me out of it BUT be sure that you can provide for all the fish if no one else takes them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards