June 2012 Weddings

RANT about alterations appointment

I'm beginning to understand why people turn into bridezillas.
I was recommended to a woman who does alterations out of her home from the bridal store I purchased my dress from. I visited her website, sent her an email explaining that my wedding is in June, and I need at least the bodice brought in and probably a hem, and a bustle. I asked for a general price range and she said via email it was too difficult to tell unless she saw the dress on. So we made an appointment for me to come out and try it on so she could see.
So I put my dress on, she pins a foot of the bottom to show me a hem length, does a 5 point pinned bustle, and pins in the bodice in 2 places. I told her what I liked, didn't like and while she was pinning she was telling my mom all about her downstairs workspace and how she has a new electronic sewing machine that's made things so much easier and etc, etc. Seemed nice, no issues.
so I ask her what we're looking at cost wise, and she told me to change and she'd bring in a written estimate, we asked if she wanted us to remove the pins and she said no just go ahead and change.
I changed, she comes back in and hands me a written quote for $400!! (that doesn't include steaming/pressing.. that's $75 extra) I immediately felt my stomach drop as I had budgeted $200 and was told by many others that was acceptable given that my dress is very simple -- no lace/no beading. I nicely explained to her that I am paying for my wedding myself and I have x amount of money left between alterations and the florist and I do have a second alteration appointment lined up for a second estimate and I would have to think about it as it was a bit out of my budget.
She walks over to my dress bag and slams the zipper down and starts pulling the pins out of my dress saying "Well if I had known you all you ever wanted was  an estimate I wouldn't have wasted my time pinning this and this has taken up an hour of my time which you will have to pay for. I have done 4 fittings today and I'm very busy, I can't set aside this kind of time for just estimates" I mean going crazyyyy about it. I just sat there quietly and luckily my mom was being calm enough to say something polite about how we would be in touch and the lady is like "I charge $25 for this kind of thing and I prefer cash." I was so angry with her attitude that I just paid her and started to pick up my things. As I was swinging the huge bag including my dress onto my back she says something along the lines of "you can manage getting that outside right." and we just saw ourselves outside.
I was completely disgusted and outraged. I understand people have businesses and they need to make money, however I have had increasing encounters with bridal-related vendors who act as though just simply talking to you is worth $100. I realize it's a busy time of year, and perhaps she had a long day but I really felt like she was a parent lecturing me. Completley uncalled for. And on my way out she said something about how if I do decide to book with her the $25 would not go towards my alterations.
I feel better after slamming the keys a bit :)

Re: RANT about alterations appointment

• WOW, crazy!  How on earth does she even remotely expect you to be interested in coming back after that?  To be honest, I wouldn't care if I only got higher estimates in other places, I'd just pay it there rather than going back to her.  Nobody deserves to be treated like that as a customer, and I can't believe she just assumed you (or ANYONE) would be interested in services without some kind of an idea of what they're paying first. 
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Omg! I am so sorry this happened to you!!! How dare she talk to you like that, man handle your dress, demand payment, and then say well if you decide to book me the $25 for today will go towards it! Psh crazy lady plus you said that you told her you wanted an estimate!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's just craziness!!  Sorry that happened.  Hopefully you find another alterations expert who's even better than that crazy lady.
  • That is so crazy! I would write a review somewhere, on here, yelp, etc. I would take my business elsewhere for sure and gladly pay more for someone who is more professional and respectable. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely write a review on weddingwire.com and here on your local board. The bridal salon I went to had notes on the walls that if you want an estimate, you better spreak up before the pins went it. But in your situation, you told her you wanted an estimate and she didn't remember that. Very rude of her to behave like that. I hope you have much better luck with the other seamstress!
  • Insane.  I would not have even given her the $25 as you had asked for an estimate originally and she said she needed to see the dress.  Don't bother going back to her.  As PP said, even if you get similar estimates elsewhere - go with them rather than this woman.  How rude.
  • Wow.  I would also let your bridal store know how you were treated.  They should be aware of this because they may change their minds about recommending her in the future.  They don't want their name associated with someone who constantly makes customers angry and unhappy and tries to rip them off.
  • Sorry this happened to you Jessica. I agree with the pp leave reviews everywhere you can especially with the bridal store. I hope the others you go to treat you better and are more reasonable.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • "I would also let your bridal store know how you were treated. They should be aware of this because they may change their minds about recommending her in the future. "

Absolutely this! The bridal salon should be informed because I'm pretty sure they don't want to be associated with this type of person.

On another note, I'm totally surprised you allowed her to keep her teeth because I'm very intolerant of poor customer service. She told you to bring the dress in after you tried to explain it on the phone, which is what irks me the most. Please don't even consider talking to her again and what PPs said - rate her somewhere and everywhere. On FB, Twitter, WeddingWire, Wedding Bee, TK, everywhere; that's absurd!
    Vacation White Knot
  • BTW....this doesn't make you a bridezilla so don't feel that way!
  • Thanks ladies. I will definitely be reviewing any and everywhere available and I never even thought to call the bridal store but I will!! I would do anything to save people from coming to that insane woman. I was shaking from containing my anger by tr time I left. I gave her the $25 cause I figure it was cheaper than bail on an assault charge.. Haha. She even told me to be careful walking by her rose bushes with my bag... And I don't think it was my bag she was worried about.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_rant-about-alterations-appointment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:45e00f24-fe7f-40b4-b846-c28f5d26d664Post:a44f1a7f-33c9-4af1-9e9d-100078af235c">Re: RANT about alterations appointment</a>:
    [QUOTE]BTW....this doesn't make you a bridezilla so don't feel that way!
    Posted by Carebear62584[/QUOTE]

Haha thanks I just felt like I could turn into one f those screaming crazy people
  • Can you please PM who you went with. I'm going to a lady out of her home as well. Just want to know if it is the same person since you are in Cincinnati. Thanks!
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards