Wedding Woes
Options

s/o points

I have two cards. One has zero balance - I use it for work travel (I get reimbursed) and the other is the one that I use for my flights to CA. It is carry a modest balance right now, as I am waiting on the check from the hospital.

I want to get one that has rewards...but I don't want to close either one of these accounts. That would mean openning a new account, and I'm not opposed to that, as I have heard three cards are ideal.

I was thinking of doing an AA mileage points whatever card, because I fly AA, but they are offered through B of A, and I hate them.

So, sell me on your rewards cc program.

Re: s/o points

• Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I have a USAA Mastercard. I think you have to be a USAA member to get one, but I'm not sure. Anyways, I have points that I redeem for cash back. You know I have no problem accruing miles so I don't really need a miles card. I like points back because we use my miles, hotel points, and car rental points to take care of the flights, hotel, and car. So points take care of food and spending money. Or I cash out points every now and then for myself. Like a purse, or a whatever.

And I totally realize after typing all of that and saying I can book an entire vacation for near nothing makes me sound horrible.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I use one through my credit union and use the points to buy gift cards.  10K points = $100 gift card

It's probably not the best, but I thought I would rather have a gift card to buy stuff on clearance stuff at Macys rather than rack up airline miles that I will just end up stressing over.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Citibank USED to hae a kick-ass one but they made the potnis become crappy.

The 'almost never used' emergency card' in our house is used to make online purchases through places I dont like giving my debit # to and is through amazon--I can use the points for amazon credit, woot!
    (don't need a certain # to cash out.  if I have points worth $.25, I can apply that $.25 to my order)
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    Chase Freedom - their plan is so good that we don't use our other CCs. We have 2 accounts (one started as mine, one started as joint).

1 point for every dollar spent
    10% bonus points per $1 each month
    10 bonus points per purchase
    5% bonus for select categories (changes every 3 months - currently gas,hotel, and airlines)

for example, say i spend $100 on gas over 5 purchases, i get

100+10 bonus+ 50 bonus for # of purchases+500 because it was gas =
    660 points

every 1K points is $10 cash back, must turn in a minimum of 2K points - we do it as a direct deposit into our savings.

ETA - we use our cards for everything, pay them in full each month, and easily get back several hundred dollars a year.

also ETA - I think you need to be a chase customer to get some of the bonuses

also, you can go through their website, order through their partners and get higher percentages of points back. we used this to buy our chest freezer from Home Depot.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    We have a BP card.  I put gas on it and DH uses it for stuff.  Gas is 5% back and 1% on everything else.

I use Discover for everythig but gas.  You canuse the cashback for reduced cost giftcards os cash back.  You can also use shopdiscover as a portal for 5-2-% back.  I've already redeemed over $200 this year and have another $130ish banked for Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards