Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Don't Want to Give the DJ Too Much

Hi all! I was wondering if you ladies have had any problems with this. I am really not a controlling bride and have found that I am pretty relaxed with most of our wedding plans. However, I am really freaking out about the music because it is SUCH an important part of the wedding. I love our DJ and I know that he is going to do a good job and my issue is that I don't want to bombard him with too much information. We are sticking to 50s style music for our reception doowop, elvis, rock and roll, etc. I am making my must play and do not play lists and I feel like they are getting out of control. Did you limit yourself to a certain number on each list and make yourself stick to that? What were your criteria? 

Thanks!

Re: Don't Want to Give the DJ Too Much

• Our only must haves were the spotlight dances/songs.... first dance, mother/son, cake cutting, etc.  We had only 2 songs that we didn't want played (Celebration and We are Family).   Anything else was a go.  If a guest asked for a specific song, it was okay with us!

Anniversary
  • Yes, I am spending an insane amount of time on the play list because I have gone to way too many weddings where the music is un-dance-able or they're trying to play slow songs while the old people are still there...

I'm creating an "ONLY play list"  DJ is not going to take requests, I shelled out for him!  I know, I know not very nice to the guests but I have a wide range of oldies, rock, country and top 40 that should keep everyone happy, not to mention I'm the one that shelled out for said DJ.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_dont-want-to-give-the-dj-too-much?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:c21a1320-c2d0-433b-ad5c-f26a60817ccfPost:c6d0d03c-4ea5-4d16-89e9-deff344c0732">Re: Don't Want to Give the DJ Too Much</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I am spending an insane amount of time on the play list because I have gone to way too many weddings where the music is un-dance-able or they're trying to play slow songs while the old people are still there... I'm creating an "ONLY play list"  DJ is not going to take requests, I shelled out for him!  <strong>I know, I know not very nice to the guests but I have a wide range of oldies, rock, country and top 40 </strong>that should keep everyone happy, not to mention I'm the one that shelled out for said DJ.
    Posted by Jinxed329[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>It seems like you've got a variety available, so it's fine. I've also found it awkward whenever I've been to a wedding and some guests requests some weird song no one has ever heard of and clears the dance floor. </div><div>
    </div><div>I have a similar philosophy to you. I'm a big Rage Against The Machine fan. Obviously, I will be doing without Rage for 5 hours because it's not exactly dance music, but in return they can do without artists I hate (no Chris Brown. no Black Eyed Peas.)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want to give your DJ an "only play this" list or a long "must play" because that is truly what you want, then by all means -- do that. But if your DJ is someone that you trust to do his or her job, you might want to consider relaxing your lists a bit.

I used to DJ weddings, and having requests from the bride and groom was good because it was helpful to have an idea of what they and their guests will want before everything starts. But if you've got a list of 60 songs that must be played, your DJ can't even physically play that much music, so you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

I think some DJs need that much direction, because they're not capable of doing more than setting up the equipment and pushing buttons. But a good DJ will be able to read your crowd and balance what you want with what your guests want. If you put a lot of restrictions on them, they won't have the flexibility to respond to your crowd in the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards