California-San Diego

The Wedding Date?

Hi ladies, I'm looking for some feedback on possible wedding dates. A majority of my guests will be out of town guests so I want to make it a time that is most conveniant for them. For this reason I was thinking about having my wedding on a holiday weekend for the three days most of them would have off anyways? Any thoughts on this? Also I do have a good amount of local guests as well, do you think it would be an issue for them? 

If I do decide to have my wedding on a 3 day holiday weekend will it ultimately be more expensive for me with vendors? I'm worried that the vendors might charge more because I would be taking away their holiday weekend?

Also, on a different note like I said, I have many guests coming from the East Coast who will be not only paying for thier flight but hotel as well. I have heard about gifts for out of town guests do you think this is something that would be expected? I don't have a large budget and I'm not sure exactly what I would give as gifts for out of town guests. I have heard of gift cards, sports tickets, fruit baskets etc. but this can all be pretty pricey. Thoughts on this would be great too!

Thanks so much!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The Wedding Date?

• edited December 2011
    I would stay clear of holiday weekends, prices go up everywhere, for you and for your guests.  My wedding is in a couple of weeks, which is still during the "cheap" part of the wedding year in San DIego, but it does mean that some people can't come since they don't have time off of work.  The trade off is that if you want everyone to come, the wedding should be in the summer, but that is during peak wedding season in San Diego and prices are WAY expensive.  If you give people enough time to plan to take off work, most people shouldn't have a problem.  

We are also on a budget and we are not providing out of town gifts, I mean you are going to be giving them a fancy dinner and dancing party (i.e. the reception), plus you can usually find cheap hotel blocks around here for your guests.  I think what a lot of people do is assemble information for "out of town bags" so that you can recommend activities, restaurants, etc to guests that have not been to San DIego before.
    ~Margaret (and Nick)~
    Post-Wedding Life Blog!
    A10 Siggy Challenge: Next Vacation Destination: San Francisco!
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married on Labor Day weekend (9-4-2010).  I also have several out of town guests (myself and my fiance included. we're natives of San Diego but the miltiary has both of us living elsewhere). I haven't found any vendors that are charging extra because of the date..but that  may be because we started booking vendors in November.  Our catering is done through the venue, we're having our ceremony and reception in the same place.  The DJ has a set price as well as the photographer.  So I haven't ran into any issues.  Even with our flight reservations: I live in MD...I'm actually traveling to San Diego next week and the tickets for my son and I were abouut $750.  I bought the wedding travel tickets, for myself, my fiance AND my son (for the busy labor day weekend) and those tickets were only a little over $800, for three FULL PRICE tickets.  I think if you do things well enough in advance you should be okay.  As far as the guests,  I sent out save the dates back in February so that people who planned on attended could reserve hotels, flights, etc. and save some money.  Plus..most people usually make plans for Holiday weekends..especial Labor Day (since it's the last HURRAH before summer ends).  I wanted them to be aware of the wedding WELL in advance before they made any other plans.  Hope this helps.  OOOHHH wait..and as far as the out of town guests..you could put together a packet or folder for them with brochures from some of the San Diego hot spots (restuarants, the zoo, etc) and maybe something that screams san diego...i.e See's candy or mexican candy (which I LOOOOVE).  I doesn't have to be anything expensive. I think a welcome packet would be cool and I'm sure your guests would appreciate  it. (Sorry this is so long...hope it helps)
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I have chosen 11/11/2011 which is also a holiday weekend (Veteran's Day) and it is actually cheaper because it is during the winter which is usually a cheaper time to have a wedding. It is a long time away but it works perfectly to get cheaper prices because we are booking everything early. I don't know if you would want to wait this long to get married but it is always an option and its a easy date to remember :) 

Good luck with all your planning. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards