Michigan-Detroit
Options

What are you getting your mom/MIL?

I need some ideas. I want to give my mom and FMIL gifts at the rehearsal for all they've done. I want something sentimental, something they'll keep. What do you think? What are you doing?

Re: What are you getting your mom/MIL?

• Options
    We gave DH's mom a pashmina.  We had her monogram embroidered on one corner.  Our wedding was outside, so we knew she was going to want a shawl.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I purchased a pearl necklace for my Mom, and since it was Kevin's 3rd marriage, he didn't get anything for his. It was his choice. I gave my Mom her necklace when they came to my house to get ready, so as not to do it in front of his Mom.
  • Options
    I honestly don't remember what DH got his mother but I got my mom a certificate for a spa day - we just went this past Friday. We had massages, facials, etc. It was a lot of fun and a great stress-reliever before Christmas. I plan on getting facials with my MIL for mother's day I think. 
  • Options
    My mom and I went and got massages the week of the wedding, but aside from that, we did "parent" gifts - we got H's parents some onboard credit to use on their next cruise, and we got my parents a resort package at Turtle Creek in TC.
  • Options
    Jewelry and spa gift certificates are great gifts in my mind.  DH and I chose to do gifts to each set of parents.  Both of them received a hinged frame with 2 slots, on the left was their wedding picture, and the other side was a picture of us with the intention of later putting a wedding photo in it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We wrote each of our parents a heart felt card and left it at that.

My mom thought it was absolutely ridiculous that parents now get gifts "because this isn't a birthday party" (her words.)  She also said the absolute best gift she could get was seeing her daughter happy on her wedding day and nothing could ever be better than that.

So yeah, no gifts for the parents.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_getting-mommil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:afdec1b6-5ad7-4d4e-ab9d-227d490da158Post:f415d1ab-be8f-42b5-a0fa-79c355d31c88">Re: What are you getting your mom/MIL?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We wrote each of our parents a heart felt card and left it at that. My mom thought it was absolutely ridiculous that parents now get gifts "because this isn't a birthday party" (her words.)  She also said the absolute best gift she could get was seeing her daughter happy on her wedding day and nothing could ever be better than that. So yeah, no gifts for the parents.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

We also did heartfelt cards that went over VERY well.  We each handwrote a note on the inside of each card and they loved it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_getting-mommil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:afdec1b6-5ad7-4d4e-ab9d-227d490da158Post:f415d1ab-be8f-42b5-a0fa-79c355d31c88">Re: What are you getting your mom/MIL?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We wrote each of our parents a heart felt card and left it at that. My mom thought it was absolutely ridiculous that parents now get gifts "because this isn't a birthday party" (her words.)  She also said the absolute best gift she could get was seeing her daughter happy on her wedding day and nothing could ever be better than that. So yeah, no gifts for the parents.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]

That's what we're planning on doing too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_getting-mommil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:afdec1b6-5ad7-4d4e-ab9d-227d490da158Post:32e72e56-6a79-4d91-ad75-27c713760b45">Re: What are you getting your mom/MIL?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jewelry and spa gift certificates are great gifts in my mind.  DH and I chose to do gifts to each set of parents.  Both of them received a hinged frame with 2 slots, on the left was their wedding picture, and the other side was a picture of us with the intention of later putting a wedding photo in it.
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love this idea and I may actually steal it.  We each have siblings, though.  Would you think it was weird or overstepping if I got 3 pocket frames for when they each get married as well?  I'm asking because FI's sister is getting married a few weeks after us (just announced this...) and I think it would look snobby of me to give his parents a gift that is blatantly our wedding and ignores Laura's.  This irritates me because it's my wedding and I shouldn't have to worry about these things, but I could never snub my SIL.  I like her a lot and regardless of what I think of her timing, I'm excited for her to be getting married and I think it's a nice thing to do.  I realy like your idea, Ally :0)

</div>
    September 2012 Brides March siggy challenge: Fav registry item so far...Bunn Coffee Maker!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards