August 2012 Weddings
Options

Shoes and a question

Sorry ladies, I am doing a lot of wedding stuff this weekend and things keep popping up and I figure you guys would know better than my FI :) I bought these shoes to try out and see how they work for the wedding:

If I don't want to wear them all night from the cremony to the reception, would it be ok to wear flip flops or should I get platform ones? I also have a pair of white satin peep toe flats that I can wear as well but I don't know if I should worry about the dress dragging. This heel is 3 and a half inches.

Re: Shoes and a question

• Options
    Very cute! The only thing I would worry about is that the dress will be fitted to the heel height on this shoe, then if you switch to flats or flip flops it might drag a little. I think the best people to ask will be those that will be altering your dress. If you have a bussle and it's planned to switch maybe they can set it up so that you bussle a little higher? I don't know if that is possible, but it's a good question to ask !!
    196 Invited image
    104 Ready to Rock! image
    92 Party Poopers image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    m tullim tulli member
    First Comment
    I bought a really cute pair of platform flip flops from DSW. Just like PP said if you go flats or normal flip flops your dress will drag.
    85image 71image 14image
  • Options
    I am changing into flip flops for the reception!  Because my shoes for the ceremony will not be that tall, and my dress will be bussled for the reception, this will work just fine for me.  I would say do whatever is the most comfortable as long as it works with your dress.
  • Options
    I love the shoes you picked. I bought similar ones in ivory.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I picked through a ton of websites to find a few I liked and than asked for FI's opinion since I can never decide on my own and he picked these. I'm hoping they're not too tall and if they work, I will look for platform flip flops to wear underneath :) I am just worried I'll be the same height as him or close. He's 5'9 and I'm 5'3
  • Options
    My dress is being hemmed to ankle length so I can change into flats after the ceremony.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Cute shoes, but they look like they would become uncomfortable. You'll probably want a change of shoes but I wouldn't suggest flats as they will change your sillouette (and your dress will drag). If you do change into flip flops, I would suggest maybe looking for some with a bit of a platform heel so that they're comfortable but still around the same height as these shoes. Also keep in mind when you switch to the not-as-fancy shoes. I know some brides who changed into flip flops before the garter removal and they regret looking at their flip flops in the pictures.
  • Options
    We're not doing the garter removal/toss or bouqet toss so I'll be good there. I'm just worried about the dress dragging more than anything and getting gross and disgusting at the bottom. Decisions Decisions...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_shoes-and-a-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:39cb1141-7614-4b40-88aa-3f9642d06726Post:581439c5-87cd-43bc-a2f9-e6b3d983f9e4">Re: Shoes and a question</a>:
    [QUOTE] I am just worried I'll be the same height as him or close. He's 5'9 and I'm 5'3
    Posted by MrsNaut0812[/QUOTE]

This is the situation I am in.  We have about a 5" height difference and I don't necessarily want to look back at my wedding photos and look "different" than we normally do as a couple - me being the same height as him.  However, I have these amazing blue heels... I have a couple other shoes on order to try and take my height down though. 

I guess, I'm just thinking I can save my awesome blue shoes for other occasions and enjoy them that way so I can look back at my pics and not feel like I should have went with a lower heel.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_shoes-and-a-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:39cb1141-7614-4b40-88aa-3f9642d06726Post:69ca49bb-9d09-4a40-a6ba-84305b4256ab">Re: Shoes and a question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shoes and a question : This is the situation I am in.  We have about a 5" height difference and I don't necessarily want to look back at my wedding photos and look "different" than we normally do as a couple - me being the same height as him.  However, I have these amazing blue heels... I have a couple other shoes on order to try and take my height down though.  I guess, I'm just thinking I can save my awesome blue shoes for other occasions and enjoy them that way so I can look back at my pics and not feel like I should have went with a lower heel.
    Posted by rungirl12[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I bought my shoes now and he is going to put on some tuxedo shoes and we will see how I look next to him. If he gains an inch and a half or so that will put him around 5'11 depending on the heel of his shoes than I will be fine. Hopefully it works out or it's back to the drawing board. He says it doesn't matter how tall I am but he knows it bothers me so we shall see :)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    There are shoes he can get that gives him a few inches. I'm 5'4'' and my fiance is 5'8'' and so we considered shoes like this that look completely normal from the outside but have a platform on the inside: http://shoes.about.com/od/man_men_mens_shoes/a/elevator_shoes.htm

Instead, I got a cute pair of kitten heels that are super comfortable and still give me an elongated leg without being taller than him (or the same height). Tux shoes ended up working just fine with my heels.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards