Kentucky-Louisville

Ways to save

We are looking to spend between $5,000-$6,000 on our wedding and I need some ideas on how to save. Also, if there are any brides in Louisville, KY reading this or areas around there that may have some contacts that provide cheaper services for wedding that would be a big help. I need any advice I can get!

We are having an outdoor wedding, with an indoor reception. There is no particular theme unless you include summer wedding lol. There are going to be about 100 guests there and that is mostly family so we can only cut it so much. So far to save money, we have family members helping out a lot.

We are having a family member do our cake, groom's cake, and favors for free. We are going to have our families do 2 entrees each, so 2 on my side and 2 on his side making 4 and will probably even that out with providing salad and chips and such ourselves. We are providing 2 entrees ourselves, probably one pasta and one meat and we get a discount through his work on that. My Aunt is doing all of our hair and makeup and I know that she will also be willing to help with decorating as well as my bridesmaids. My maid of honor's sister is going to do all the flowers for me for $200 including the materials. A family friend is going to be our officiant so we don't have to worry about those costs. We also have a family friend doing engagement pictures for us, so we will only have to worry about regular wedding pictures. I'm looking through craigslist for cheaper services on everything. We bought our invitations at Walmart really cheap and my mom is doing the handwriting for them.

I want to spend as little as possibly on the dress, but I want something prettier than your everyday dress. A-line. We aren't doing alcohol, which will save us a lot. I'm wanting to find some cheap places to get rental stuff and decorations. I'm already getting vases and candle holders from the dollar store. So, basically, I need ideas mostly outside of that stuff on saving money. I need money saving ideas on gifts for all the family friends who are helping us, possible parents gifts, and our bridal party. I need money saving ideas on dresses, accessories, venue, decorations, rentals, ceremony music, etc. Thanks all!

Re: Ways to save

• edited December 2011
    It sounds to me like you will have no problem sticking within that budget, given all of the help you are getting.  One warning I will give you:  When checking out venues, make sure you get a place that allows you to bring in your own food.  Many venues have a list of caterers that you are required to choose from.  I know Mellwood Art Center allows you to bring in your own food/caterer, but they don't really have an outdoors space for ceremonies.  Renting a seperate ceremony and reception space can be really pricey.  I would suggest looking into a public park for the ceremony.  You run the risk of strangers standing around gawking, but the parks are generally free or very cheap, which makes up for the strangers.  Sometimes you have to get a permit for this, especially if you are going to bring in chairs and stuff.  This option could still be cheaper than booking a whole different place for a ceremony.

As for decorations, I suggest DIYing as much as you can.  You have plenty of time to get things done.  FIgure out what you want for centerpieces, then buy the materials one at a time with a 40% off coupon from Michaels (or the like from JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby).   Never pay full price at those stores.  Chances are the items you need will go on sale sooner or later or you can just use a coupon for it later.

Also, DIY your ceremony music.  Hook an iPod up to speakers and have someone play songs off of a playlist of your choosing.

Congratulations and good luck planning!
  • edited December 2011
    On the venues the Kaden Tower has their civic center that you can rent from 8am to midnight (which will give plenty of set up time prior to your event) for $1,000. They don't have a set caterer so you should be fine to bring in your own food. An outdoor venue that is pretty affordable is Glassworks rooftop it's $500 but I'm not sure if there are any other cost the wording in the packet makes me think you might have to rent chairs. I'm just getting started myself so I haven't moved much past venues on my research. I've also been checking ebay by searching wedding to get some ideas and I've found some decent deals on decorations. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker unnamed LilySlim Weight loss tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Amanda, DIY is the way to go!  Check out pinterest - there are TONS of great projects on there (I just blogged about a few items I'm planning to make)!  I would also keep an eye on weddingbee.com's classifieds section.  Brides often post great deals on decorations, accessories, etc., but they go quick. 

I found my dress at a consignment sale for $250 and I love it.  I would check places in the area to see if you can find a good base to work with and then make it into your own dress with alterations.  It sounds like you have a lot of great contacts, so maybe you know someone who does alterations. 

Just remember, you often get what you pay for, so if something is really important to you, it may be worth the price in the long run.  For example, our photography is very important to me so we're splurging a little and hiring a great photographer, but I know 30 years down the road I won't regret it.  I have some friends that got a great deal on their photographer and didn't get a single posed photo of them from their wedding.  So sad. 

Best of luck in your planning, it sounds like you're off to a great start!
  • kysnowbirdkysnowbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, Crazy Girl! Good luck with doing everything! One tip I thought I'd offer is about where to get a dress. I got mine at Dolce Vita bridal shop at the Mellwood Arts Center. I thought that because it was a boutique it would be expensive, but it wasnt! The first time I tried on dresses there, there were ones on clearance I tried on for $250, $345, $299, and up. And they were beautiful! They look very expensive and very sophisticated... The kind you see on Say Yes to the Dress. When I looked at dresses at the big box stores, their less expensive dresses always looked kinda cheaply made... Almost polyester-like? :( But I was so psyched to find Dolce Vita. and the woman who owns it is phenomenal. She truly cares about your big day, which is a great feeling. :) Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • annamhisleannamhisle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Farnsley Moreman Landing is a good venue! It's outdoors. My friend is getting married there in September. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards