Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Melodies & Memories ???

Hello Knotties

I spoke to Melody today and I'm really thinking about hiring her. Her prices are great compared to what Ive been quoted. Melody states that she also acts as an coordinator. My question is, do you think its still neccessary to hire a DOC? Anyone who has had hee thoughts please....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Melodies & Memories ???

• I used Melody, and she is FANTASTIC!  And, she is correct, she totally coordinates the flow of the ceremony and reception and keeps all vendors involved, engaged and moving.  

That said, I still hired a DOC due to the nature of our decor and  set-up, which I didn't want to deal with the day of.  That is something Melody obviously wouldn't do.  So honestly, it's tough for someone else to answer not knowing the details or specifics of your location, decor, etc.  

Honestly though, Melody added more value than my coordinator did.  But, that's a whole 'nother story.  

Let me know if you have any other questions. 
    She is hands down the some of the best money you'll spend! 
  • Hi Thanks for replying. My ceremony/reception will be at a hotel. They will take care of all the decorations and ill have a vendor come in to do my center peices. Basically I just need someone that will assist with the coordinating, making sure we start on time, everyone is in the right place, just following the time line that we would have already discussed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In terms of timeline, your DJ really controls that (especially at the reception) even if you have a coordinator, so from what I've seen at weddings I've attended, she would be great for that.
    Anniversary

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    My wedding was also at a hotel and I did not hire a DOC, which I consider a mistake on my part.  Without my photographer and my DJ, it would have been a disaster.

My DJ handled the flow of the entire reception, which was his job.  The hotel event planner coordinated the ceremony, but he could have done that for us if needed.  He also coordinated my exit when the event planner bailed.

However, I could have also really used a DOC before the ceremony even got started.  My photographer was the one who got me to the first look on time, handled all of the pre-ceremony photo coordination--even pinned the flowers on my family members.  She bustled my dress for me after the ceremony and kept us all on track.  There were just so many things that came up that I didn't anticipate needing someone for (since I mistakenly thought the hotel planner would be with me).

If I had to do it over, I would have hired one.  Melody will be great for the reception, but there will be times before then that you will want one.
  • I used Melody for our ceremony and reception.  I would have loved to have had a coordinator to help with some of the wedding prep (finding vendors, turning in contracts, scheduling meetings, etc), but as far as day-of, I didn't miss not having a coordintor at all.   2 of my aunts volunteered to set up the centerpieces on the tables and put some flowers in the ceremony space.  Other than that, Melody and our photographers handled everything in terms of timeline, being in the right place at the right time, etc.  I personally was not willing to spend $1200+ to have someone do what was already being done by my venue/DJ/photographer.  Things went exceptionally smoothly with no hiccups.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This helps a lot guys. I think I'm good with just hiring Melody-- Geesh that was a huge money saver. Thanks alot Knotties... Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hired Melody as well, but also went ahead and hired a DOC. While our venue is doing all of the interior set up and the garden chairs outside, we're pretty much on our own for setting up decorations. The price I've locked in for the DOC is well worth not having to get up at the crack of dawn on my wedding day to decorate the ceremony area and centerpieces, etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_melodies-memories-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:d082d2ca-e9ab-488c-97c8-df9591a53e88Post:d068a592-b4d9-4aee-97fc-30c9d7c89aca">Re: Melodies & Memories ???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used Melody for our ceremony and reception.  I would have loved to have had a coordinator to help with some of the wedding prep (finding vendors, turning in contracts, scheduling meetings, etc), but as far as day-of, I didn't miss not having a coordintor at all.   2 of my aunts volunteered to set up the centerpieces on the tables and put some flowers in the ceremony space.  Other than that, <strong>Melody and our photographers handled everything in terms of timeline, being in the right place at the right time, etc.</strong>  I personally was not willing to spend $1200+ to have someone do what was already being done by my venue/DJ/photographer.  Things went exceptionally smoothly with no hiccups.
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

We both had very good photographers that are used to doing these things.  It's not really their job.  If not for Lynn, I would have been lost on my wedding day.

But I agree that with a good DJ AND a good photographer, you can manage without one.
  • I think Kylie said it perfectly :) It depends greatly on your set up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_melodies-memories-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:d082d2ca-e9ab-488c-97c8-df9591a53e88Post:9308cfb4-9acd-42ad-b005-0961a4fc0089">Re: Melodies & Memories ???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melodies & Memories ??? : We both had very good photographers that are used to doing these things.  <strong>It's not really their job.</strong>  If not for Lynn, I would have been lost on my wedding day. But I agree that with a good DJ AND a good photographer, you can manage without one.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with you, but our wedding was not heavily involving.  Everything was in one space with no time in between and very few "events."  Melody helped me set up the timeline (which was something she offered to do in the beginning... not anything I inquired about), but honestly other than that, the only other thing I needed help with was getting into my dress and bustling it.  We had a 3.5 hour dinner reception filled mostly with eating and dancing.  There wasn't a whole lot to do, and our venue coordinator played an integral part of keeping the show on the road as well.  I don't think we asked our vendors to go above and beyond what they typically do... or at least I certainly hope not.  I would feel immensely guilty about that. :(</div><div>
    </div><div>If we had a bigger event planned that was more intricate and more DIY, I may have hired a DOC.  But for the small affair we had (70 people all in one all-inclusive location with a venue coordinator and family that offered to do a little bit of work), it just wasn't worth the money to have a separate DOC.  

</div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_melodies-memories-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:d082d2ca-e9ab-488c-97c8-df9591a53e88Post:25d98460-6b43-457e-b1a0-8070a5d23945">Re:Melodies amp; Memories???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Thanks for replying. My ceremony/reception will be at a hotel. They will take care of all the decorations and ill have a vendor come in to do my center peices. Basically I just need someone that will assist with the coordinating, making sure we start on time, everyone is in the right place, just following the time line that we would have already discussed.
    Posted by Toiizloved[/QUOTE]

FWIW, my ceremony and reception was also at a hotel, but both Melody and my DOC told me, in two separate conversations, that the hotel didn't even begin setting up until an hour before things were slated to start. I never knew this though, but from what Melody told me the hotels lack of preparedness set her back a little. Like, couldn't even start my pre-ceremony music selection til 15 min prior cause of everything.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards