New York-Hudson Valley

Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel

My fiance and I are going to visit the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel this weekend and could possibly put down our deposit if we like it.  Does anyone have experiences they would like to share?  I would be having my reception there and POSSIBLY the ceremony (if I can persuade the priest to perform a ceremony on location), which is what I'm hoping for.  I'd just like some insider information before I go there.  Thanks!

Re: Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel

• edited December 2011
    Our reception was actually at the Grandview (same owners as the Grand) but our package included some free rooms at the Grand, and 99% of our guests stayed there. It was absolutely wonderful, and I know many ladies on this board will give you great reviews regarding receptions there. Enjoy the planning!

P.S. If you're not able to convince your priest, and need a local church, the one where we were married was about 5 minutes from the Grand.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding at the Grand and I was married at the Grandview :-) I thought The Grand was nice - you get a lot for your money. The hotel itself has been recently updated and our guests had no problems whatsoever with the accommodations.

We also got married at a beautiful Catholic chapel about 10 minutes from The Grand if you need a rec for that!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_poughkeepsie-grand-hotel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5cc20bd4-2b98-4bb2-b166-72d038d404f9Post:53bf65d1-7157-42eb-82b4-ed9f7537dd30">Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are going to visit the <strong>Poughkeepsie Grand</strong> Hotel this weekend and could possibly put down our deposit if we like it.  Does anyone have experiences they would like to share?  I would be having my reception there and POSSIBLY the <strong>ceremony</strong> (if I can persuade the <strong>priest</strong> to perform a ceremony on location), which is what I'm hoping for.  I'd just like some insider information before I go there.  Thanks!
    Posted by ssmisko1588[/QUOTE]

Congrats on possibly finding a place for your reception!

Re- The Poughkeepsie Grand is beautiful! And they recently updated the smaller ballroom! They are very comfortable doing weddings. And get highly recommended here on this board.

Re - the ceremony - From what I recall, they won't allow a Saturday night weddingreception to have a wedding ceremony on-site. (Other times are ok. Friday, Sunday, Saturday day. But not Saturday night) I'd look in to that if I were you. If you want a Saturday night reception, you may not be able to have your ceremony there after all

Re - the priest. If it's a catholic priest you are planning on, they won't do on-site ceremonies. For the most part, your wedding has to take place in a church.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi!

I booked the grand in Dec 2009 and my reception is going to be there on 5/6/11. I met with Rachel Davis one of the few coordinators they have there. She is very nice and has been helpful with anything I needed. I am acutally stopping in to see her on Friday to do linens and table things.

We are doing a Friday night ceremony at around $68/pp. We are using the smaller Terrace room. You cannot ask for a better deal than them! They do an excellent job - I say that as attend receptions there as well as work functions. HTH! If you have any questions please feel free to ask me!

Kris
  • yoko2011yoko2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at the Grand in Sept., a Friday ceremony and reception. Rachel has been great with any questions we've had before we signed contacts up to now. Our package includes some rooms but also the room block. I actually called to check on that the other day and the front desk was very helpful with confirming information.
  • edited December 2011
    I mean Friday night reception!
  • edited December 2011
    Yoko - I'm getting married at the Grand on the same night as you....you must be in the big ballroom?! 

ssmisko - We've had a great experience so far and have only heard good things about the Grand!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yoko2011yoko2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Spinwife that is great! I still have to figure out the officiant and the RD that is this week LOL. We should definately connect!

• edited December 2011
    My FI and I looked at the ceremony att he grand but we didn't like that fact that the ceremony would be in the same room as the recepiton. Everything (tables etc.) would be moved to one side to allow the ceremony. We booked the smller room for 11/11/11.

We decided to have a church wedding instead.
  • edited December 2011

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.  We had our wedding there and I can't say enough good things about them. Their packages are great, service  & food was wonderful. It was just a perfect wedding.   My friends and family still talk about how much food ti was and what a great time they had.
    I can't recommend them enough.

We were in Terrace Ballroom and even before the renovations is was great.  Michele was our consultant.

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_poughkeepsie-grand-hotel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5cc20bd4-2b98-4bb2-b166-72d038d404f9Post:53bf65d1-7157-42eb-82b4-ed9f7537dd30">Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are going to visit the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel this weekend and could possibly put down our deposit if we like it.  Does anyone have experiences they would like to share?  I would be having my reception there and POSSIBLY the ceremony (<strong>if I can persuade the priest to perform a ceremony on location</strong>), which is what I'm hoping for.  I'd just like some insider information before I go there.  Thanks!
    Posted by ssmisko1588[/QUOTE]

Are you Catholic? If so, a priest won't marry you outside of a church.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Yoko - sent you a PM!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We moved our wedding to Poughkeepsie last minute and had no problem booking with Mt Carmel for our Catholic wedding. Be prepared to make a HEFTY donation for the convenience thought.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! We went there on Sunday and met with Tara. She was great and we loved the hotel. So now we just have to talk to the priest and then we're ready to book!!
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They do an excellent job there and it's a great value.  The only negative is that there really are no great places for pictures.  There's a small garden area, but it doesn't offer many possibilities.  But otherwise, it's a great pick.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks GolfChick - I will actually be having my ceremony in Hyde Park (in June) so there are plenty of places to stop for pictures on the way to the Grand, i.e. Vanderbilt, Norie Point, Marist's waterfront park, Locust Grove, etc. That's really why I didn't give the Grand's photo opportunities (or lack thereof) too much concern.  Good point though, thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    That's great!

Just an FYI you cannot do Wedding Photos at Vanderbilt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards