Maine

I think it's time...

hcorr34hcorr34 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
I'm pretty sure I'm about to enter full on freak-out mode!  School ends next Thursday, which is also one month before the wedding.  I have a ton of small things to do that I know I'll be able to finish easily because I am on vacation starting at 11 AM next Thursday (phew) but there are a few details that I can't seem to work out, and it's starting to stress me out! 

The part I'm stressing about the most is the setup for the ceremony.  I am renting chairs from my school, but stupid me never figured out HOW I would get them to Portland and back!  They're only 50¢ a piece, and I don't quite have it in my budget to rent from a place that delivers.  And I've yet to figure out who is going to decorate the picnic shelter for us.  It's an outdoor public space, so we can't do it the night before or even that morning since I don't trust the general public to leave my stuff alone while no one is there. 

I've thought about putting out a help request at work to see if a local person had the ability to transport 100 folding chairs to Portland (people do it all the time for moving, child care, etc.) but since most are not invited, I feel kind of awkward about it.  UGH!  I really need to figure out what to do here!

If anyone has a magic wand I can use, let me know!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I think it's time...

• edited December 2011
    Ok, off the top of my head--

For the chairs, are you able to pay someone to do it, but not as much as a rental company?  I would try posting on Craigslist about it, or maybe see if a high school or college sports team might do it as an odd job for money (my crew team in college did this).  Offer an hourly rate and to pay for their gas or something. 

For the decorations, it sounds like a day of coordinator would be good, because that person could stay at the shelter after it was decorated to make sure it remained intact (pesky general public).  I'm not sure exactly where your wedding is, but maybe if another knottie on here is local to the Portland area (I'm further north), you could exchange day of coordinator services? 
  • edited December 2011
    What about renting a uhaul van? I looked the prices up online and it;s about $20 + .59 cents/mile. You could probably pile all the chairs in there since they fold up nicely.

I would also second the craigslist posting - you may find someone who already has a large truck/van and is willing to do it for cheap.

Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest

my read shelf:
    Esskem's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I have a DOC, but she doesn't do decorating.  She'll be getting there shortly before the guests start arriving and it would have cost me another $100 to have her there an hour earlier to decorate.  Money is super tight, so I'm trying to find a solution that will keep extra costs at a minimum.  I'm hoping to avoid having to hire strangers to do this, especially the chairs, because I don't want to pay extra for damages.  The idea of trusting strangers with the task is one I would lose more sleep over.  I thought about renting the U-Haul, but I would still have to find someone to do it all in one day.  Believe me, I've tried to play out a million different scenarios in my head.  One of my co-workers suggested with checking with one of the schools in the Portland area (I work almost 40 miles away from where I live).

I need to talk this all over with FI tonight to see what he might be able to come up with.  If they can get ready at his sister's bf's house (1/2 mile from Fort Williams), they might be able to run over and set up and then go back and change.

ETA:  I appreciate the offer Jessie - but you need to fully enjoy your last day of your HM and your family!
  • edited December 2011
    Remember, people really do want to help you.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  People will come together to help make sure your day is everything you want it to be.  Weddings really are at their core a community event and people want to be a part of it!  Ask for help and I know you will get it.

I've had some freak out moments along the way and I'm sure there will be more.  Take some deep breaths and know it will all come together!  How lucky you are to have vacation to get all your last minute stuff done too!  Don't stress - it will be great!
    Married 9.4.11
  • hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_think-its-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:898ab259-cec2-41ce-8f96-1bebbde38cc9Post:b0dead3b-082a-40f3-bd61-f4f7f67f021f">Re: I think it's time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Remember, people really do want to help you.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.</strong>  People will come together to help make sure your day is everything you want it to be.  Weddings really are at their core a community event and people want to be a part of it!  Ask for help and I know you will get it. I've had some freak out moments along the way and I'm sure there will be more.  Take some deep breaths and know it will all come together!  How lucky you are to have vacation to get all your last minute stuff done too!  Don't stress - it will be great!
    Posted by chrispygal[/QUOTE]

See, I've had one of my guests (friend/coworker) tell me repeatedly to let her know if I needed any help with anything.  I'm trying my hardest not to ask her though.  She is the kind of person who always helps and NEVER gets to sit back and enjoy something without "working".  She's a saint, and I truly want her to just be able to "be a guest" for once and not have to be somewhere early to do something. 

And yes, having the time off is a plus.  I wanted a week later, but one of my vendors wasn't available, so we went with the 16th.  I needed as much time as possible to prepare.  One of my coworkers is getting married 2 weeks from tomorrow, and she is stressing big time right now!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_think-its-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:898ab259-cec2-41ce-8f96-1bebbde38cc9Post:7092026a-3165-4d0f-9310-d523f72a38fb">Re: I think it's time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think it's time... : See, I've had one of my guests (friend/coworker) tell me repeatedly to let her know if I needed any help with anything.  I'm trying my hardest not to ask her though.  She is the kind of person who always helps and NEVER gets to sit back and enjoy something without "working".  She's a saint, and I truly want her to just be able to "be a guest" for once and not have to be somewhere early to do something.  And yes, having the time off is a plus.  I wanted a week later, but one of my vendors wasn't available, so we went with the 16th.  I needed as much time as possible to prepare.  One of my coworkers is getting married 2 weeks from tomorrow, and she is stressing big time right now!
    Posted by hcorrigan34[/QUOTE]

I bet she NEVER gets to sit back and enjoy something because she really LIKES being able to help and feels good about it.  Honestly.  I know you don't want to ask for help, but maybe you and your FI can figure out how to solve one of the problems (chairs or decorations) and ask her to help with the other?
    Married 9.4.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards