Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Chinese Food, what hor'derves to serve?

Ok well I better clarify...Panda Express, Chinese food. I know I know...a bit "different" and not very "tradational" or "fancy". But my fiance was vere adamant on this one. We are having it at a Marina in San Diego, so it's not too fancy of a place to begin with, but it is quite beautiful. = )

Anyways, back to the point = P

We are going to have hor'derves served during a small cocktail hour while my fiance and I are getting our pictures done. Since we are having Chinese food for the dinner I wasn't sure if we should carry with the same and have wontons, egg rolls, etc. He thought it would be a good idea, but I think it's just too much Chinese food. I wanted to do some fruit, crackers, cheese, sandwiches, just small and light food because our pictures are only going to be like one hour or so then we will be having dinner soon. The ceremony will be over about 3:00pm, we would be returing around 4:00pm (I'm assuming all this, I don't really think it will take an hour because most pictures will be done before, just not with him and I together). So it's not like our guests will be starving at that time. What do you think?

Also, Panda's catering dishes are those disposable aluminum foil dishes. He thinks thats fine, but I really want to have someone switch them over to nice white serving dishes I am going to buy. (We are hiring a friend of a friend who isn't a guest at the wedding to do small things for us and this was one of them I was thinking, he is perfectly fine with it by the way, I'm not having a random guest do this, we don't know him. But we do trust the friend who recommended him.)

So to sum it up:
Hor'derves - More Chinese related food or something lighter?
&
Catering Dishes - Switch to nicer ones or leave as is?

Thanks!!! = )

( Sorry that was so long =/ )

Re: Chinese Food, what hor'derves to serve?

• Options
    SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be fine sticking to your chinese theme. I would just avoid doing too many fried items like wontons and egg rolls. I would do something like mini lettuce wraps, dumplings, spring rolls, pickled chinese vegetables, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, that is a good idea!

All the fried food is what I was afraid of. I never thought of doing lighter Chinese food. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it's takeout-type Chinese you want, I'd advocate for NOT doing Panda express. If that's what you're set on, fine, but a random local takeout place is probably a better option. Panda express is honestly way overpriced and not as high quality as most local take-out places, which are often run by Chinese families instead of being an Americanized chain. But I'm part Chinese so I recognize I'm more of a Chinese food purist than most, so again, you and your guests may not care

Also, I would vote for a more local place because you might be able to work with them on delivery or setup for a small fee if you have a huge order. I just feel like a local place would care more about customer service, making sure your order is fresh, etc.
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it would be too much to have egg rolls, etc. at your cocktail hour, but I like Chinese food.  I do think that lighter options and/or including a veggie/cheese/cracker tray(s) would be nice for guests who would pefere a less-heavy option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really don't care for chinese food and might prefer some other things to snack on. But you know your guests, if they like chinese food it would be OK to have those as apps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think carrying the theme over to cocktail hour would be fine..... but maybe you could add fruit and veggie trays just to change it up a little bit.
    As far as the dishes, I'd do it only if you really want to. Do they provide heaters for the food when you cater though Panda? That may be a reason to keep it in aluminum. Just a though :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd just be really careful about the ingredients in take-out Chinese food. I know Panda Express doesn't make vegetarian dishes. And if people have nut allergies you need to be really careful about peanut oil.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards