Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registries where you can get cash back?

I'm in a bit of a bind - I'm Canadian but live in the US and fiance is French and lives in France. We're having 2 weddings (canada & france). We will most likely be living in France. I would like to register in the US & Canada for our guests, but don't really want to have to move everything to France! And I know my parents' friends will want to buy "things" (though I'd much rather have cash). Are there any stores where you can return the gifts for cash?

Re: Registries where you can get cash back?

• Options
    edited September 2010
    [QUOTE]I'm in a bit of a bind - I'm Canadian but live in the US and fiance is French and lives in France. We're having 2 weddings (canada & france). We will most likely be living in France. I would like to register in the US & Canada for our guests, but don't really want to have to move everything to France! And I know my parents' friends will want to buy "things" (though I'd much rather have cash). Are there any stores where you can return the gifts for cash?
    Posted by meenamoo[/QUOTE]
    Please don't do that. Would you like it if the B&G intended the whole time to return whatever your carefully selected gift was?
    Don't register (or keep a very small registry and have it associated with FI's France address so gifts get shipped there), refuse a bridal shower, and keep in mind that your guests at the Canada reception will likely realize what a hassle shipping is and give you money instead.
  • Options
    Besides what PP said, I think it sounds like a lot of work. What's the point in asking for gifts (and registering for them), then having your guests pick them out and buy them, and then taking them all back to the store in hopes for cash? If all you want is cash, just have a small registry. I can understand the inconvenience of sending things overseas. But this way doesn't sound like a good way. Just don't register, or only have a small registry and people tend to get the idea that you'd like cash over gifts.
  • Options
    Dear God there are actually two of you who exist!!! What you are doing is unethical and dishonest.  I had an aunt who followed through on her plan to register for the most expensive everything and then return it all for the money after the wedding.  That was 40 years ago and family members still bitch about it behind her back.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Yeah, just don't register.  If your guests know that you will be moving everything, they'll most likely give you GCs or cash.  Give them some credit.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Yikes, bad idea.  What all the pp's have said.
  • Options
    This would be rude. How about just not registering?
  • Options
    please don't do this
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registries-can-cash-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:d964e694-6c2a-4882-9949-d3397df8c113Post:8900de82-f967-42cc-a920-35af87a834e3">Re: Registries where you can get cash back?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's horribly rude and sneaky.  It's basically lying to all of your wedding guests.  I'm sure they will understand that you don't want to pay to move all of that stuff, so just skip the registry and if anyone asks, have your mom tell them that what you're really needing is to save for the move.  They'll get the hint. And to answer your question, there are not, to my knowledge, any more registries that allow you to return for cash.  And brides like you are exactly the reason that they all quit doing it.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Absolutely this!  I would be REALLY upset with my daughter if she had even considered this.  It's a lie, no matter what you paint it with.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    As PP have mentioned, just don't register at all.  Your guests will get the hint.  I would NOT do what you have proposed.  I would be irritated if I found out a couple I bought a gift for did this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards