Connecticut
Options

Name Change - Which Soc Security Office Did You Use?

I know name change questions have been asked 4,000 times, but the search feature isnt working...i can't find the old posts!

Which SS office did you use to change your name?  I'm trying to avoid the Hartford office if i can...

Also, SS first?  or DMV first?

do either keep copies of your marriage license?

and last, does anyone know if you need to change your address with SS when you move?  

Re: Name Change - Which Soc Security Office Did You Use?

• Options
    dpantaleonidpantaleoni member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually went to the one in Westchester NY b/c that's where I work.  With them only being open 8:30-4:30 M-F, there was no other way for me to do it.  If you don't go to the one closest to your house, they do ask why you went to theirs...I guess they're supposed to ask just to make sure nothing fishy is going on.
  • Options
    malissa033malissa033 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I changed mine in the Meriden office (right near the courthouse) it was really quick and easy - in and out in 10 mins. That was the first thing I did so my license wasn't changed yet... all I needed was the copy of my original ss card and a copy of my marriage certificate. You have to fill out a really short form when you get there and they just make a copy of your original ss card && marriage certificate - they don't keep the originals && then they mail you your new one in the mail. 

On the form you fill out there should be a section to write your mailing address... I don't think they need it for their records but I think it's just so they know where to send you new card. HTH

(my address on my license didn't match the address that I sent my ss card too.) 
  • Options
    memj09memj09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think they care which office you go to - they are a state agency so it's all the same.  I went to Bridgeport and had to wait about 45 minutes.  You have to do SS first because they need your driver's license with your maiden name for proof of id.  Neither they nor DMV keep an original of your marriage certificate - they make a copy but make sure you bring one with a raised seal or they won't accept it.  All you have to bring is your license and certificate.  They will ask you what address you want your new card sent to so if you moved just give them your current address.  For DMV you will have to change your address on both your license and registration - which means you have to go through two lines.  HTH!
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh i am NOT looking forward to this!  

i actually realized...my license says that i still live with my parents, so technically the Ansonia office is my "home" office.  i think i'll try to go friday when i'm home for the holidays...hopefully that will be easy enough!  

good to know they don't keep the marriage license.  we only have 1 certified copy (stupid, i know...) i've requested extras, but who knows when they'll come.

how long does it take for the SS card to come in the mail?  we're looking at moving in 8-10 weeks...maybe i'll just have it sent to my parents' house to be safe...

thanks girls!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had mine within a week.
  • Options
    malissa033malissa033 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I got mine fast - 1 week sounds about right.

I would call the office to make sure they're open on friday. Although I don't think you have to go to your 'home office' I just went to the one that was convient for me to go during my lunch break.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I just went to the town that I work in cause It was super easy to go to on my lunch. I dont beleive it matters what office you go to

HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmmm my work office would be hartford.  i dont know that i want to chance getting there, done, and back in an hour.  i should call about friday though...good point!

and 1 week?!?!?!  insane!  i'm used to things like passports which take FOREVER it seems!  sweet!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I changed my name with the SS office I lived in New Britain, but I went to the New Haven office because we had to pick up our marriage license in New Haven.  I was in and out in about ten minutes.  Make sure you bring a copy of your marriage license with you to DMV, they will ask you for it.  I had thought the reciept from SS was enough but it wasn't.  Both DMV and the SS office gave me back our marriage license.  I had my card in about a week and a half.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in there for over an hour...and the place wasn't even that packed (although I was in NY when I went).  I think I've heard some girls on the board saying they called and made an appt and were out in no time....might be an option to look into.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you need your old SS card to get the new one?  I can't find mine anywhere!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    good idea with the appointment!  i think i'll try to do that!

and yes, i believe you do need your old SS card.  they must have some other option though if you've lost it...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sandra,
    I did this the day of our swearing in. First I got there at 845 and like a moron forgot my marriage license at home. I was the 10th person in the door (they open at 9 and everyone waits to get in prior to that). I HIGHLY recommened doing that at the Hartford office b/c I was right away and would have been in there for 2 minutes had I not forgotten that damn certificate.

I went back right after swearing in, around 1230 and waited about 30 minutes total. I DID bring my old SS, they DID take it, no it does not matter if you do DMV first or not, but I did since I needed to get from NY to CT and yes, it took about 1-1.5 weeks to arrive
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually went to the Ansonia office...I was in and out in 10 minutes. Also, I didn't have a copy of my old SS card AND had left my license at work and was able to change everything using my passport and marriage license. I had my new card a week later.

Also, when I went to the DMV they didn't ask for any proof from SS...just my passport and marriage license. I went to the Milford office for that...in and out in 10 minutes too.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm i think im gonna try ansonia on friday since i have the day off.  if not, hartford it is i guess.  i like the idea of getting there early like that!  
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine in the Ansonia, and it was quick and easy, no one was there.  And I got the new card in about a week.
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to the SS office in New Haven, and then to the DMV in Milford. I was in and out of both.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i went to the middletown SS office, was in and out in less than 10 min, i was the only person there.

when i went to dmv it was muhc longer, and also, bring your car registration in with you, that way they can change that too, since thats supposed to match your license. also, if you want to make any other changes at this point, you can- i actually had lasik surgery, so when i was changing my name they were able to remove my corrective lenses restriction as well, since i now have 20/20 vision.

and now is a REALLY good time to do your passport...from the time i sent it, it was less than 4 weeks to get my new one, and get my old cancelled one back- i couldnt believe it..still havent gotten one of my debit cards, but have literally everything else changed.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    did you have to send in your old passport to get your new one?  i'll have to be careful with my timing on that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yup, you have to send in your old one. They give you a brand new one. I have mine back in less then four weeks too though.

• Options
    edited December 2011

I had a great name change experience.  It took me less than an hour, including driving time.

I went to Social Security in Ansonia first.  I was the only one there, and everyone was done within minutes.

Then I went to a DMV photo license center instead of a full service branch.  I went to the one in Milford Town Hall.  Again, I walked in and I was the only one there.  The only wait was for the new license to print.  I was out within 10 minutes.

I would avoid a full service DMV!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    McKenzieOnealMcKenzieOneal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    tammyo21tammyo21 member
    edited December 2011
    I went to the East Hartford office right on Burnside Ave.  No appt needed, took a # from the kiosk and was in and out in under 10 minutes.  I didn't need to form they have on their website or my old SS# card - just the license.  New card came in about a week but they said up to 2.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards