Registry and Gift Forum

Target Wedding Registry

I've heard it's terrible but nothing too descriptive, I started our registry online yesterday and had zero problems.  Of course we haven't gone into the store to scan anything yet!  I love Target and didn't want to register anywhere else.

So ladies, what problems do my guests and I have to look forward to?

Re: Target Wedding Registry

• We registered at Target and had no issues. When others have mentioned issues, it usually was in regards to having problems returning or exchanging items, but I don't know the specifics. We were lucky in that we didn't need to return anything that was purchased as a gift.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    The biggest issue with target is if you have a lot of OOT guests. Target's stock is extremely regional -- so they'll have things in store but not available online and the things in the store will vary a lot depending on what store you go to.

I've also heard about issues with making returns, but I know less about that specifically.
    Lizzie
  • I also registered at Target and had no problems with registering. I've heard that if you have to make a return from something on your registry but don't have a gift reciept, they can pull up your registry and return based on that. No matter what, you'll get a store credit.
  • melaniekymelanieky member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I think their website has been updated because I started a registry there a few months ago and it was really slow and sometimes it didn't load correctly. But now it seems to work a lot better. So we will see if my guests or I have any problems.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    My FI's cousin had problems returning items that were listed as purchased on the registry, but didn't have a gift receipt.  It also doesn't refresh as often as some of the other registries, so she received a lot of duplicates because it was still showing as they had asked for one, zero purchased when someone had in fact purchased an item  Our Target has terrible customer service though, so I'm not sure how much of the return issue should be attributed to that.
  • coraloccoraloc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    You can only return a specific amount of unreceipted items/year.  It used to be 5 but it may have increased to 10.

Unlike other stores, it's a huge hassle.  If someone doesn't scan your registry at Macy's, you can still return the item for the lowest selling price.  BB&B is the same way, but Target tracks your information so you can't return anything after you hit that magic number.

Their customer service for bridal really isn't close to as good as some of the other stores, but if you're only registering for a few things there, you should be fine.
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    It's really three main complaints:

From brides:

1) Returns are a nightmare - some stores don't let you return even if it's on your registry, and they only let you return like 10 things a year without a receipt.

2) The website doesn't update in a timely way, so you get a lot of duplicates which you then may not be able to return, depending on how good the customer service is at your local target

From guests:

3) The in-store stuff and the online stuff almost never matches, because their stock is so regional like PP said, and most couples register primarily in-store or primarily online and not both.  Guests then have to shop in the method that the bride and groom registered to get the items that the bride and groom requested.  It's such a PITA that I won't buy off of target registries.  I'm an epic bargain-hunter, but there are some things that annoy me so much that I'd rather pay a bit more for it elsewhere just so I don't have to deal with it, and standard items on target registries are one of those things.  If you want a KA stand mixer or Oxo cooking utensils, register at BBB or Macy's or somewhere else that carries the same items.  I shop at Target for myself all the time, and I love their stuff - but their registries are just a huge hassel, as far as I'm concerned.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friend had a big problem with the registry completion coupon that they gave her. It was supposed to be good for anything in the store on one trip. So after the wedding, she and her husband loaded up carts with alot of the stuff they needed to match up with the things they received. They also stocked up on groceries, personal products, clothes and more, since they had a great coupon. When they got to check out, they were told it was only good on registry items. This was not printed anywhere on the coupon and not what they were told when they registered. They were spending hundreds of dollars on both registry and non-registry items, and they ended up taking over an hour to check out, having to fight with a manager, ect, ect.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_target-wedding-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:650e2362-4b22-41d9-a79a-1cdc58105239Post:01894610-5dcb-4a8e-b6ba-61acd942de28">Re: Target Wedding Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's really three main complaints: From brides: 1) Returns are a nightmare - some stores don't let you return even if it's on your registry, and <strong>they only let you return like 10 things a year without a receipt</strong>. 2) The website doesn't update in a timely way, so you get a lot of duplicates which you then may not be able to return, depending on how good the customer service is at your local target From guests: 3) The in-store stuff and the online stuff almost never matches, because their stock is so regional like PP said, and most couples register primarily in-store or primarily online and not both.  Guests then have to shop in the method that the bride and groom registered to get the items that the bride and groom requested.  It's such a PITA that I won't buy off of target registries.  I'm an epic bargain-hunter, but there are some things that annoy me so much that I'd rather pay a bit more for it elsewhere just so I don't have to deal with it, and standard items on target registries are one of those things.  If you want a KA stand mixer or Oxo cooking utensils, register at BBB or Macy's or somewhere else that carries the same items.  I shop at Target for myself all the time, and I love their stuff - but their registries are just a huge hassel, as far as I'm concerned.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

That makes sense to me, it sucks given the situation but I used to work at Younkers and if you didn't have a receipt they only let you return $200 worth of merchandise per year due to loss management standards.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_target-wedding-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:650e2362-4b22-41d9-a79a-1cdc58105239Post:f3593d89-097d-45f3-96eb-9cd36b369743">Re: Target Wedding Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Target Wedding Registry : That makes sense to me, it sucks given the situation but I used to work at Younkers and if you didn't have a receipt they only let you return $200 worth of merchandise per year due to loss management standards.
    Posted by Jinxed329[/QUOTE]

Sure but no one else's registry is so inflexible. That's the issue -- what they're doing might be industry standard for discount stores, but if you want the higher-end wedding registry folks you need to be more accommodating.
    Lizzie
  • We registered at Target for our baby shower and it wasn't worth it. We did have issues with returns and the regional thing was an issue, as all of my family is out of state. We won't be registering at Target this time around, although we love it and we're there weekly...sometimes more. 
    March 2013 Siggy - Ceremony Venue Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't post on here much anymore, but I saw this about Target and wanted to chime in.  We went back to print out our registry a little over 3 months after our wedding and it was already taken down.  I had no idea it went that quickly because most other stores are at least 6 months if not a year.  The guy in customer service was also very rude to me when I tried to figure out why it was gone.  

The stock this was also a big problem for us, but we just created a very small registry there anyway.  I wouldn't make it your main registry.
    Anniversary
  • FI and I registered at Target and we had a great time doing it.  It was very easy!  I had one problem with them changing the quantity of one of our items but that was it in the beginning.  Now with that being said, I have had duplicates purchased because the items didn't show as being purchased.  Now keep in mind both of these friends gave the registry to their sales person to scan because they have done this multiple times and know to do it.  I ended up having to go on and put that they had been purchased even though I got duplicates!  Target customer service didn't seem to care at all.  Also, some friends bought us our comforter online and had it shipped to us.  It wasn't shown as purchased.  When I asked Target they blamed our friends again.  Very frustrating that they want to blame people when I know for a fact they did what they were supposed to do.  We are just hoping we don't have many duplicates to return after the wedding!  We shall see!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Select wedding gift registry with this post and make your wedding planning work as easy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards