California-San Diego
Options

NAME CHANGING - two middle names

I thought I had figured this all out, but I think I may have been self-misinformed...

Does anyone know for CERTAIN that you can have TWO middle names on the marriage license and/or legally on driver's license/SS card/etc?

I finally decided that I wanted to keep all my names and also take my husband's to be last name so that i would have the same last name as him and our children.

So, I would be [first name] [middle name] [middle name] [husband's last name]. -- /> (ie. Samantha Mai-Lin Lee Jones.)

It seems  though that according to the San Diego County marriage reqs and The Name Equality Act of 2007 [gives specific rights to parties at the time they are applying for a California marriage license to choose and list on the marriage license the new name that each party will go by after marriage. Please refer to the
Name Equality Act.] I can't have two middle names without hyphenating them???!!!

I'm a little peeved because my middle name is already hypenated and I don't want two hypens in my middle name! I don't want to be (Samantha Mai-Lin-Lee Jones), I want TWO middle names! -- />

ANYONE KNOW OF HOW THIS WORKS???? THANK YOU!!!!

Re: NAME CHANGING - two middle names

• Options
    I don't know HOW it works, but I know that in 2009 when I changed my name I couldn't get two middle names. My sister-in-law was able to do it in 2008, but after she got married they changed the rules/law.  So I got rid of my original middle name (didn't like it anyway) and turned my maiden name into my new middle name, and took my husband's name as my new last name.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    We got our marriage license 3 weeks ago & my understanding was that you have to hyphenate.  I didn't read it too closely because I'm dropping my last name, keeping my original middle name & taking his last name. 

Sorry.  :-(
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    engaged on 5/29/11... Kelly & Andy to be married -- September 29, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards