Hawaii
Options

Totally stupid resort questions

So... I come from a condo family. We like 'em a lot. Even on our many European vacations, we've always rented an apartment.

My experience with hotels is limited to a few nights here and there. Anyway, Phil and I are staying at the Kauai Hyatt in August, and I remember someone was saying that they bought a bunch of 100$ Hyatt cards for 80$ a piece at Costco and just charged everything to their room.

Now, I'm all for getting 20% off. That sounds like a really good idea - especially because we want to do a spa day/dinner under the stars night. I'm just wondering - is there a limit to what you can charge to your room?

Aaaaaand: are magnetic key cards waterproof? I'm used to just having to worry about keys.

Re: Totally stupid resort questions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Magnetic key cards should be waterproof.  DH had ours in his pockets both in the pool in the ocean for hours & hours -- no problems at all. 

Also, there isn't much that cannot be charged to your room, but to be safe, I would call up the front desk and confirm.  99% of the time, food and spa treatments can be charged to the room.  Once in a while, you have restaurants / shops / spas that are not associated with the hotel and owned independently.  When that happens, you often cannot charge.  Otherwise, charge away...breakfast in the room, bars, spa, sometimes even pantry / sundry items.

Those $80 gift cards sound very interesting.  Do share more!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't offer any advice about the cards and charging to the room, but please keep me posted as I am getting married at that hotel next April!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The long and short of it is the Costco in Kauai has 100$ Hyatt gift cards that they sell for 80$. I know this because several knotties on this board have used them over the years on their honeymoons... but I don't think there's anyone current on right now!

• Options
    fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, you're going to have a fantastic time at the Kauai Hyatt!  We drove by and it looks exquisite!  Thank goodness you're not staying at the Sheraton....heard some horror stories about the construction there....

Yes, from personal experience, maganetic card keys should be waterproof and generally quite durable.  As for room charge limits, I don't think there is one...that's one of the conveniences of staying in a hotel - no need to carry cash around with you (especially convenient when going swimming).  Virtually everything (food, spa services, activities, etc.) can be charged directly to your room.  ...and of course, getting blindsided with a huge bill at the end, LOL!  :)

The Hyatt gift cards sound like a great deal!  Wish we had known about those...might've influenced our hotel choice.  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards