Flowers

Info about peonies?

It seems like a really obvious fix, but I've looked around the internet and I'm having trouble finding definite answers and I don't have a florist yet to ask so I was hoping you lovely Knotties could help me. =) I'm really REALLY loving the idea of peonies in my bouquet and in the BM's bouquets are they super expensive? I mean, I'm willing to splurge on the flowers (the only actual flowers are going to be mine and 3 BM's bouquets) but I was just looking for a ballpark... Also, they last? And what is the season. I'm getting REALLY mixed stuff on that. Any help is appreciated! =)

Re: Info about peonies?

• edited December 2011
    They bloom across the midwest all spring. I'm not sure if SC has them... It's cheaper to buy them when they are in bloom, but they will be fairly expensive. You'll have to talk to a florist in your area, though. I want them for my bouquets, but I'm opting for cheaper flowers for the centerpieces.
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I peeked at your bio and see you are getting married in September next year.

I live in Michigan, and peonies bloom in late April or early May. I have peony bushes and this is the schedule year after year.

My guess is that they will not be in season anywhere in North America in September. That doesn't mean you can't get them, but if they are grown in greenhouses somewhere, and the inside of the greenhouse is kept at the temperature to make them BLOOM in September, they are going to cost a really pretty penny.

I'd recommend going to some flower sites and checking out different large blooms.... spider mums bloom in September, they are large and airy, not exactly like peonies, but close. So are some very large and open roses. But again, those would be shipped from somewhere else, unless there is a local source that has ever-blooming roses.

The alternative is silk or "real life" artificial peonies. From far away, and sometimes up close, it's hard to tell the difference.

Good luck.
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had peonies in my bouquet June 11'th.    One thing you need to be aware of with peonies is that they don't hold up well in the heat.  As my florist said 'they blow up'.   If it was going to be really hot on my wedding day she was going to use silk peonies mixed in with the real roses/daisies... thankfully the weather was perfect and we didn't have any problems. :)
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help guys... yeah, I thought they might be out of season... ugh... I'll just have to see how this goes... =/ haha
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Maybe look at ranuculous (sp?) or garden roses

• edited December 2011
    Penonies run roughly (this is a ROUGH estimate) $5 a stem in season or in the spring, and $15 a stem out of season. I love them too but am having an August wedding and so am option for garden roses dahlias and other more seasonal blooms.
  • edited December 2011
    They are alot more affordable on fiftyflowers.com and in september cost $180 to $600 for 20 to 100 stems. A more affordable option as said above is garden roses or ranaculus which also can have a bigger head....especially ranaculus alot of the time peope get them and peonies confused
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards