Flowers

DIY Flowers- when to have delivered?

Hey there! I'm wondering if any of you have ordered your flowers online (I'm getting mine from Sam's Club) did you have them delivered the day before, or 2 days before? I should have room to store them in the fridge but I want them to have ample time to recover from shipping, but not too long that they wilt by the time we have the wedding!

I'm ordering hydrangeas & carnations, if that makes a difference! I don't know very much about flowers.

Re: DIY Flowers- when to have delivered?

• No later then thursday.  This will allow you time to cut the flowers in so they can process correctly (very important).  Then Friday you can put together all the arrangements and bouquets, etc.

Also, I really wouldn' t put them in the fridge but in a very cool room...refrigerators that aren't made specifically to hold flowers sometimes do funny things to flowers like freeze them or turn them brown.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_diy-flowers-when-to-have-delivered?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:b56ef0ad-695f-4dcf-982f-cd0e9e434de0Post:ade5418d-0273-4610-99a0-6021076c5cb9">Re: DIY Flowers- when to have delivered?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No later then thursday.  This will allow you time to cut the flowers in so they can process correctly (very important).  Then Friday you can put together all the arrangements and bouquets, etc. Also, I really wouldn' t put them in the fridge but in a very cool room...refrigerators that aren't made specifically to hold flowers sometimes do funny things to flowers like freeze them or turn them brown.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>When you say Thursday, is that for a Saturday wedding? (So, since ours is on a Sunday, have them delivered Friday?)</div><div>
    </div><div>We live in an apartment, so there's not really a super cold room in our house - though we keep our apartment at 70 degrees year-round (I know, that's freezing for some people,  lol!)</div>
  • Have them there 2 days before your wedding. You will need to condition them in large buckets of water with the little packets that they come with. The flowers will be very very dry when they arrive, so this is important. As soon as they arrive you should cut the bottoms of the stems off at an angle and have them soaking for a good day at least before you arrange.

Ditto Maggie on the cool place. We had ours in my parent's basement. The hydrangea will especaially need it cool. I might turn down your thermostat if you need to store them in your apt since hydrangea tend to wilt.

Photobucket
  • Ditto PPs.  A fridge is likely to be too cold for them (and there's not a great temperature distribution in the fridge), but they do need to be in a cool place.  Keep an eye on water levels too.  When they arrive they will be incredibly thirsty and will drink the water quicker than you might expect, so check them frequently to make sure you don't need to add more.

Bonus tip: Hydranges do better if you mist the heads with cool water twice a day from when you get them to when you arrange them.  A light mist, mind you.  If you soak them they just get droopy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards