New Jersey
Options

Dress shopping tomorrow! First time!

I have my first appointment to look at bridal gowns tomorrow!  I’m going to Chrissy O’s in Newton, did anyone else go there?   How was the experience?  I’ve heard mixed reviews.  I also have an appointment at The Wedding Store in Andover, NJ in 2 weeks….anyone have a good/bad experience? 

I’m excited and nervous! Hahaha  I’ve been engaged since March but it hasn’t really felt like I’m getting married yet.  Booking a venue and picking a photographer didn’t make me feel like a bride yet.  Just an event planner lol.  But the idea of trying on dresses makes it all feel real I guess. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress shopping tomorrow! First time!

• Options
    I actually went to those two stores in the same day. I ended up getting my dress at Liz Clinton (The Wedding Store) after going back there a second time to re-try on a dress that I liked (THE dress!) and to try on any new dresses they had gotten in since the last time. Crissy O's in my opinion was weird to say the least...and I visited about 8 stores total across Warren, Morris and Hunterdon counties. The place was dark and dingy and had a weird vibe to it (did not feel BRIDAL at all) and the person who worked there wasn't very involved which some people might like. It's the type of place that you pick out your own dresses which I was OK with, but there were only about 3 dresses that I ended up trying on just because I was there.

I had a really good experience at Liz Clinton. They bring out the dresses for you based on the style you are looking for and they had a LOT of reasonably priced dresses that looked more expensive than they were. My dress is an Allure dress. I worked with Liz both times and she was helpful and honest. They don't rush you there and I didn't really feel pressured other than her telling me I needed to order a dress soon which in reality I did need to do. The only thing that bothers me is that they charge a flat fee of $395 for alterations which in my case is about 1/3 of the price of my dress! I guess you can always get your dress altered elsewhere if you want. I was there a few weeks ago with my mom so that she could by her MOB dress (mothers and I think bridesmaids get 15% off if they order their dresses there).

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Good luck and HAVE FUN on your first day! :-)
    Valerie512
  • Options
    I can't say I have any personal opinions on either store.  I haven't heard great things about Chrissy O and I've met some of the employees at the Lake Mohawk bridal show.  They weren't very warm or helpful.

I'm thinking about checking out Sew and Sew Bridal in Lafayette for alterations on my DB gown and possibly for accessories.  Check them out next if you still are looking.

Good luck with your dress hunt!  Have a great time tomorrow!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am surprised to hear this.  I went to Chrissy O on a recommendation of someone.  I made the appointment (via email) during last week's hurricane and went in last Saturday.  

Jessica worked with me and was very kind and helpful.  She asked me what I was looking for and just started pulling a bunch of gowns off the rack for me.  She told me to do the same.  Everytime she picked something she would show it to me and asked my opinion.  The 1st dress she actually showed me was something I was willing to try on but was not thrilled about.  That was the 2nd dress I tried on (at that store) and fell in love with.  Every other gown paled in comparison and I ended up going with that gown. 

My mom was also there and they helped her with dresses and I picked beautiful bridesmaids dresses.  I spent a few hours there and was not at one time rushed. 

There is no fee for alterations for wedding gowns, as it is included in the price.  Prices were also reasonable.  If you are looking for Maggie Sottero, you will more than likely find the one you want there!

I have been to a few other places including the one in Andover.  I agree, Chrissy O may look a bit outdated inside, but their quality is far superior than Andover.  I reallly liked the customer service, as they were very helpful and sweet.   

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forgot to mention!  If you buy your bridal gown at Chrissy O's, the bridesmaids dresses are 30% off for the girls!
  • Options
    Hm not sure who I had help me but I don't think it was Jessica. One of my friends had also recommended Chrissy O's to me, so I guess everyone's experience is different! :-)
    Valerie512
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback!
    I had a pretty good experience at Chrissy O's.  I forget the girl who helped me...Carissa maybe?  I have her card in my purse, I can't remember off the top of my head.  I do agree that the place was very dark and not really what I had expected for my first dress shopping experience.  I was the only one there (with my mom, sister, and friend) so we had the place to ourselves which was nice. 

I found 4 dresses that I loved and none were Maggie dresses which surprised me because I love the dresses online.  I found 3 Alfred Angelo gowns that I love and a David Tutera.  I have an appointment in Andover on 11/24.  I'm really looking forward to it after receiving this great feedback!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards