April 2012 Weddings
Options

Gifts sent to house

I know it has been brought up on the boards before but I wanted to get feedback. 

When I got home today there were three crate and barrel boxes!!! My shower is March 10th, so I am assuming they are shower gifts.  My thought is to open them so I can send thank you notes, but not use until the wedding.  Is this right?  What do we do?

Re: Gifts sent to house

• Options
    Yep...open now, make sure its not damaged, send thanks, use later.  :)
  • Options
    I'll second that.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    i actually didnt open mine because many of my shower guests sent them ahead of time to my mom's house because they were so big and bulky and they didnt want to carry them. but my shower was at my mom's house, if yours is somewhere else you're probably not expected to wait.
  • Options
    Yea, I live outside of Boston and they gifts were sent to us and the shower is at my sister's house in Connecticut.  FI was working last night so I didn't want to open without him, so we will open tonight when I get home. It was so exciting to see three crate and barrel boxes.  And I have been trying to be good and not go on my registry and see what it is.  I know I registered for it, but it still still exciting to be surprise. 
  • Options
    I had a similar thing--most of mine were gifts from people who couldn't come to the shower (I verified with my MOH when writing thank you notes so I could say 'can't wait to see you' or 'i'll miss you at the shower, can't wait to see you in april!' type things)

YAY gifts!!
    We're married! And we're ready to sell! http://nauticalwedding.weebly.com/index.html
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I was in a similar situation. I had about 5 boxes sent and was dying to open them. 1 was very early and from someone not even invited to the wedding. That I opened. The rest were from those who couldn't make it to the shower & my mom insisted that I didn't open the packages. I could open the box to see who it was from (making sure it was indeed from someone who couldn't come), but then she wouldn't let me see the actual gift. Silly mom, it's written on the packing slip! 

Anyway, my cute mom actually wrapped up each gift & brought it to the shower so I'd re-open them. I don't know how she did it because it was a lot of huge items (bedding, china). Apparently all of these individuals requested that they be opened at the shower, so I respected that. Therefore, I didn't write thank you's at first.
  • Options
    We've only had one sent to the house, and we did open it, but set it aside until after the wedding (much to FI's chagrin).  It was from my uncle, who will not be coming to my bridal shower.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    We've had a few sent to the house by accident.  Some of the guests for the shower couldn't figure out how to change the address on the registry...  So I'll bring them to my parent's house so she can get them to the guests  Most of the boxes are from people who are actually coming to the shower.  It has been hard not to open them, but I'll get to see what's inside next week!
  • Options
    We received a shipment at our home too! I was thinking it was for my shower that's coming up this next week. When I opened the box to see the gift cards, I realized it was from my uncle who's out of town. They're wedding gifts and the wedding is 2 months away. Good thing I checked! Now I can make sure they were shipped ok and send the Thank You note now, rather than sending it "too late".
  • Options
    Ok, I'm not gonna lie, I've used some of my shower gifts.  I know that's not the "etti" way to go.  Oh well :/
    Follow Me on Pinterest

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards